Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help saving my fort  (Read 909 times)

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
Need help saving my fort
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:28 am »

Ok, so I have a rather healthy (nearly 300 dwarves) fort going, except for a few problems.
A) My miltary dwarves are taking turns being a werezebra and killing random people, then being beaten to death by the rest of their squad.
B) My miltary dwarves are rather pissed, and given how handy they are with their hammers and spears, a touch dangerous to everyone.
C) I believe I am getting somewhat close to a tantrum spiral, including some dwarves who seem to be happy.

I'm currently in the middle of a (mega?) project involving flooding and pressurizing my fortress entrance before dropping the bridge and (hopefully) "removing" any goblins, trolls, ect. quickly. I am also hoping to be able to start pumping magma up from the cavern to the surface to play with. These both being my attempts at each, I'd prefer to not lose this fort or reclaim since I'm doing rather well. The King even decided to move in!
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Need help saving my fort
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:31:18 am »

Lock away your military from the rest of the fort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:49:08 am »

Set your military on fire. Keep the were-zebras.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:53 am »

Lock away your military from the rest of the fort.

This is the best advice for tantrum spiral prevention. Have doors on EVERY room. If someone goes berserk inside, or of someone who is very well liked dies, you can lock the door. The berserk dwarf can't get out. The corpses won't be found and won't trigger a fortress wide bad though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:30 pm »

Remember that self-destruct lever you installed?  Pull it.  Left Armok sort them out and build anew.

Okay, instead. Pit (burrow, station, or a literal pit) the military [except for active ones.  Isolated infected squads, then individuals from there.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »

Do what I did: somewhere outside your fort, build a temple that is only accessible via a drawbridge that is activated from the main fortress. Take all your were-zebras, form a single squad, and lock them away in this temple. You can decorate it to give them nice thoughts if you want, but that won't last; they'll destroy everything in short order and soon won't care about much at all.

Next time you get sieged, get everyone inside and wait for the squadron to turn into zebras, then pull the lever. Watch as your enemies are crushed beneath the mighty hooves of your Zebra Squad!
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »

Werezebra fort!  Awesome!  Just isolate the infected. You have the potential for a military that is all werezebra, and thus can lose arms/legs/hands/eyes etc, and get them back, brand shiny and new the very next full moon!

Peasants are renewable. Burrow the legendaries and infected in separate burrows. Later maybe infect the legendaries (why not?) and nobility (even better!). This also fixes hunger and thirst, so they never need to eat and drink, but can (averting the slow down suffered by vampires and necromancers without a danger room)

As far as saving it: easy trick
1. make a reservoir with several hatches over holes to the level underneath, make it shallow.
2. Link hatches to a lever immediately below the reservoir.
3. Fill reservoir with water.
4. Make a burrow around the lever, under the reservoir, tell your dwarves to all go to that burrow, make sure the military are off-duty so they act like civilians.
5. pull the lever, water will come down making fog and every last dwarf will get a "comforted by a lovely waterfall" happy thought, which is really really good. Tantrum should be mollified.
6. make the room below bigger than the reservoir, so no one drowns
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:13:18 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:52:28 pm »

I'm glad I came back and checked on this thread. I was about to delete the fort and start anew, but the thought of an army of werezebra at my beck and call is just too good to pass up. I'm also a fan of the "Happy Fun Time Psychiatric Hospital" (aka, the Waterfall Room), though I will have to find someplace to build that since my fort is currently a mess.

How do I determine which of my army  are werezebras and which aren't?
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04:41 pm »

Burrow each one in a quarantine cell by themselves. Wait. When each transforms, give them a nickname indicating the order they transformed.

When the list repeats, release all those that didn't turn.