Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Eviscerated Siege  (Read 1153 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Eviscerated Siege
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

This is the tale of the ill-fated Eviscerated Siege and the fortress of Ekirzulban, Lucidbanner, the dwarven Mountainhome nestled in the desert mountain valley of Udobuma.

To understand the scene in which our tale is set, it is best to begin by describing Lucidbanner itself. Presently 9 years old, the massive fortress supports a population of 270 mostly happy dwarves. Throughout its history, Ekirzulban has been defended by a combination of clever engineering and sheer dwarf-power. Included in the defense repertoire is a raising bridge that acts as a massive hatch to the fortress entrance, a water pump in the nearby brook to drown unfortunate invaders caught in the entry hall, and good old dwarven steel and mettle.

Casualties in all cases were low. Playing very cautiously, I've only lost 10 dwarves at most over the past decade or so. The wealth of Ekirzulban has grown vastly, with ample supplies of Hematite, native gold, sapphires, and marble. The only downside to the site is its climate: In the first year of the fortress's existence, all the pools dried up and the grass was forever turned a golden yellow by the heat. Having a brook offset the problem, but nonetheless the first dwarves of Ekirzulban struggled in the heat to provide for those to come.

Most recent in the history of Lucidbanner is the aptly named "Eviscerated Siege" by the goblins of Utes Olzul, "The Spider of Legends", who worship their pagan deity and wage war in her name.

Though in the past those of Utes Olzul were slaughtered mercilessly in Ekirzulban, including a failed siege that saw their chief warlord routed from the site, the goblins were undeterred, and in this siege brought with them a huge army: 4 squads of melee goblins of various weapons, a squad of trolls and a squad of cragtooth boar, a beast especially bred for the fell purposes of the Spider.

The bold dwarves of Ekirzulban, having established their dominance over the armies of the Spider, decided to do something they had never done before: They would meet the enemy in outright open combat, charging headfirst unaided by trap or sprung surprise.

A multitude of dwarves were in the army that marched forth from the crimson gates of Lucidbanner, spearheaded by two squads of legendary dwarves. What follows is the account of the first part of the battle of the Eviscerated Siege, where for the first time the warriors of the Arrow of Tests face off against the iron fist of Utes Olzul.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2544-theevisceratedsiegepart1

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The Eviscerated Siege
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:33 am »

*Claps* Bravo, bravo, good lad! When does the sequel come out?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »

I'm eagerly awaiting part two.  How exactly did the goblins create fighting mechanisms?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:18:53 pm »

I was going to ask the same thing. Why were the creatures' tags different from the normal goblin symbol?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

Those are probably the cragtooth boar he mentioned in the expose`. Hopefully. The idea that goblins tamed and trained mechanisms for battle is horrifying.

Were he using the phoebus tileset, or just a creature tileset, they'd show up fine I imagine
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »

Those are probably the cragtooth boar he mentioned in the expose`. Hopefully. The idea that goblins tamed and trained mechanisms for battle is horrifying.

Were he using the phoebus tileset, or just a creature tileset, they'd show up fine I imagine

Nailed it ;) I'm using Phoebus, indeed. Apologies if this makes the battle more confusing to watch. I'd imagine, though, that in the spirit of B12 people are more prone to find the battle all the better if they imagine it between clockwork goblins and steel-clad legends.

I'm eagerly awaiting part two.  How exactly did the goblins create fighting mechanisms?

They didn't, truly, it's simply fits nicely into the story that I happened to modify my game to include a few extra creatures such as the Cragtooth. Courtesy : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123155.msg4047611#msg4047611

*Claps* Bravo, bravo, good lad! When does the sequel come out?

I'll be posting updates daily, but in terms of the events in the battle of the fortress I can't guarantee continuity, as I am not a naturally-born cameraman; things tend to skip around and for the observant little details may be missed :P

The militia captain seen at the end of the last part of the battle dove into the squad of goblin swordsmen. In his martial trance, he deflected every blow delivered to him, and as his comrades began to divert their attention from the fleeing first squad of goblins, he stove their heads in with his steel spear.

While the main part of the militia is up north defeating some of the most pressing threats, closer to the crimson halls trouble begins brewing...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2545-theevisceratedsiegepart2

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:36:07 pm »

<derail>

I've been using the Anno tileset for a while now, and I'd forgotten just how elated the dwarves always look in the more faithful renditions. Like, "Whee! We are fighting goblins!" and perhaps dancing about happily as part of their fighting form.

</derail>
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.