Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What luxuries do commoners deserve?  (Read 6291 times)

lumicrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What luxuries do commoners deserve?
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:28 am »

1x3 bedrooms smoothed out in marble with marble door and cabinet. Nobles have 12-tile engraved bedrooms with neccessary equipment, plus couple of golden statues and individual dining rooms. Commoners dine in a legendary dining hall, I don't bother to micromanage food. If I try to fill my booze stocks with everything the caravan has to offer to ensure variety. I'm about to build a statue garden with memorial slabs as a separate meeting hall (maybe a well). Commoner bedroom area also has some statues in the hallways. Commoners get to be buried in a communal burial hall. Even my barracks/training area is properly decorated.

My dwarfs live a luxurious life, which I think is deserved after all the shit I put them through ;) I'm getting really tired of these useless immigrants that I don't need, might want need to start processing them.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 05:01:50 am »

Everyone gets at least a 3x3 - 5x5 bedroom and a similar private dining room with full furniture, smoothed and at least partially engraved, depending on circumstances. Many also get items according to their likings, statues, glass or gem windows, coffins, nickel cages with animals, a small stockpile with preferred drink, whatever. Specialized dwarves may also have their office or workshop attached to their living areas (mostly 5x5) with storage area for basic materials and a 'shop' for products if appropriate.
I'm currently working on a water supply system and when it's finished, at least some private dining rooms will also be equipped with a well.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:43 am »

Everyone has 3x3 rooms with furniture, made of something with 5 or less value (preferably obsidian) with decorations. Important citizens like doctors and metalsmiths get bigger rooms with thematic materials (doctors get sterling silver furniture, for example). Everything is smoothed, engraved when there's time.
There's usually a legendary dining hall with statues, and a statue garden (also with statues). The well has a soap stockpile.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:37:42 am by Valikdu »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »

Aren't 1xX rooms just hallways? :P
Not when they're separated from the main halls by door, filled with furniture, and designated as a bedroom from a bed.

But think of how tired your dwarf must be of having to vault his chair, duck his table, and climb over his bed every time he wants to put a sock in a cupboard?
The way I design it, he puts his feet up on his nice, sturdy chest, sits on his bed, and leans back to open the cabinet

╔═══╗
║πΘÆ┼
╚═══╝

Unlike the designs of many overseers, it's magma-free!  Sure it's crowded, but these are the Lower Class apartment blocks we're talking about.  They can thank their lucky stars they all have private rooms.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Stopkilling0

• Bay Watcher
  • FarmBaconFarmBacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 01:37:39 pm »

In my 9th or so fortress, I decided that I was going to apply everything that I learned from the past ones to avert tantrum spirals, HFS, titans, sieges, etc, etc, so on and so forth.
Thusly I named it "PerfectFort".

Every dwarf owns a 5x5 bedroom that contains a bed, cabinet, table, chair and two chests. I waited untill I had a legendary worker in masony and carpentry before I built this massive ammount of furniture. So its all masterwork, sometimes encrusted with gems I happen to find lying around.
Dwarves dine in, well, probably the most legendary dining hall I have ever seen. It took me forever to build.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Walls and floors are constructed out of rose gold, entire room is lined in masterwork gold statues, all the thrones are (mostly) masterwork thrones made out of platinum, and all the tables are masterwork (mostly), and made out of gold.

Stockpiles contain every imaginable booze known to dwarf fortress, even goodly and evil beverages are imported specifically for certain dwarves.
But, due to a bug, a cannot make mead, beekeeping is problematic for me.
Food stockpiles are all lavish meals made from a variety of things, mostly high quality quarry bush roasts.
The entrance to the dining room is a combined mist generator / dwarven shower; when dwarves enter the dining hall, they get happy thoughts from the waterfall, and the constantly falling water washes them off, carrying contaminates down into a drain off the map. Directly under the waterfall is the bedrooms, so there is a waterfall down there too.

All of my dwarves have been sitting at ecstatic for many years, and I do mean all of them, all 211 of them.
Yes I know pop cap is at 200, but some babies were born.

tldr, perfect forts are boring, don't build them.
This fort has no fun to be had.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:39:46 pm by Stopkilling0 »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »

They get a variety of food and booze, including prepared meals to try and condense the vast stockpiles of meats and tallows, and make whatever crap the elves bring edible.
They get a job, usually hauling/sorting.
They get their own 2*2 bedroom, WITH A BED, and a doorway. Doors optional, usually not included.
If their bedroom is cut by any veins, they get a fancy constructed wall replacing the gem/ore/pretty rock wall.
They get to eat in a legendary dining room, engraved and with artifacts and plenty of tables and chairs.

That's about it. It's better than living in the sun and soil, but they're still worked like crazy. Idlers are assigned jobs arbitrarily.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:33 pm »

Once again, getting back into the game, and since one of my past forts are falling apart (it was a proof of concept for an idea fort), I realized that how I go about most forts is that I provide between 2x2 and 3x3 rooms for my commoners (more useful or demanding ones get the bigger rooms; more common-rated commoners get the smaller), and anything beyond 5x5 for my nobles. I never got the really high-tier nobles before, but I usually try to plan my forts to be able to house them, and they definitely get the equivalent of a house/small mansion, and a personalized burrow to keep everyone out, except for the meeting hall of their home. If only burrows had an exclusive function to them (same assignment properties of burrows, but keeps the assigned, keeps out the unassigned; mayhaps a DFHack plugin to make?).

What I try to aspire to is something akin to one of my past forts (Wavehandle). That has probably the best arrangement for a housing district I've had, albeit it was 2-dimensional in it's build (I also had intent to build true nobility quarters north and south of the main hall where it extended out of the dining hall). Future forts make better use of stacking and 3-dimensions; though for consistency, I would have to use DFHack's ToggleRev tool to ensure material consistency throughout. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine if even gems cut into my work; although provided it's valuable enough, I can deal with it; but it is kinda annoying to see a small line of yellow or red going across a nice large white dining hall or nobility quarter.

Lately, I've been trying to incorporate aboveground constructions, and working on building dwarven condos for timeshares and etc. where certain immigrants are concerned (especially adventurers with timeshares in their accounts). Or assigning 2 beds/housing centers for dwarves (a vacation home above ground, and their small home underground, if you will; and they're built like actual condos, mini-apartments, if you will). Some dwarves that deserve it will have a home-away-from-home. Namely valuable artifact-makers and certain nobilities. Some military would also use the condos as a luxury home away from the barracks; depending on rank.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:19:04 pm by Itnetlolor »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:09 am »

In Dwarf Corp. facilities there are no commoners, just employees and a relatively flat management chain.  Most employees use the corporate dining hall, which is often smoothed, decorated with statues, and eventually engraved.  Pets are welcome and often facility artifacts are displayed here.  Standard employee housing is 2x2 rooms with a bed, door, and 1-2 cabinets.  Walls are smoothed, and sometimes engraved.  Housing might be in separate blocks, or potentially located close to the workplace - medical staff are often housed adjacent to the hospital in the administration wing.

First level supervisors; e.g. militia squad commanders, production managers, etc. receive no extra benefits.

Facility-level supervisors generally receive some additional resources in order to deal with day-to-day activities, records storage, etc.  Thus the bookkeeper, Facility Manager (mayor), and Security Chief (Captain of the Guard) get an office.  The latter two also get a separate small dining room and quarters to facilitate meetings and the holding of performance reviews.  That the mayor is allowed to make special production mandates is viewed as a traditional perk of the office.

Corporate officers receive facility resources similar to the Facility-level supervisors, but generally of slightly larger size and quality.  This is required for the keeping of additional records, holding meetings with company vendor representatives, and also arranging for exchanges with the Dwarf Corp HQ.  If Dwarf Corp HQ shifts to the location then additional facilities are built for the use of the CEO, holding board meetings, and the storage of the main corporate records.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2013, 03:03:26 am »

EVERYONE GETS THE BEST EVERYTHING. I CAN ALWAYS AFFORD IT.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2013, 03:58:49 am »

EVERYONE GETS THE BEST EVERYTHING. I CAN ALWAYS AFFORD IT.

Off topic;  MSPA has somehow managed to make yelling in all caps not only not annoying anymore, it makes it endearing.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2013, 06:39:10 am »

MSPA?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:40 am »

Everyone sleeps in a dorm with only the crappiest beds.
Except the nobles.
They can eat and drink whatever they want.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23:27 am »

for me, ever regular dwarf gets a smoothed 3x3 bedroom, with a bed, a green glass cabinet and a green glass chest(magma + sand makes green glass free :))
copper doors if i have an overflow of copper, otherwise stone

the nobles get three 5x7 rooms, smoothed and engraved
unlike regular dwarves, nobles need to prove themselves worthy of my attention, their big rooms serve mostly as floor space to fill with crap to shut them up

i dont like to micromanage food, i try to make many small farms, to grow something of every plant i find
even when i'm in a hurry, or annoyed , i try to make some kind of variety
the dwarves like their regular wine magically much more if they have a choice of wine or sewer brew

the hospital doubles as a common dorm, as i have long since given up on trying to prevent naps in hospital beds, and instead just gave hospitals a extra helping of empty beds

i try to make a really fancy common dining room,
i find the nobles dont complain about overkill fancy common dining rooms, and it gives all the regulars extra happy thoughts, which helps against tantrums

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21:12 am »

I always provide prepared meals, food and booze variety, and a decent dining hall early. They usually share a communal dorm for several years before I bother to dig rooms, however. Lacking private sleeping quarters doesn't hurt their mood too much, and a legendary dining hall improves it quite a bit. When they do get rooms, they're usually only 1x2 or so, as I'm lazy and cheap.

However, ensuring everyone has enough clothing has always been a problem for me. Cloth industry my arse...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:22:50 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]