Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactions that interact with those who perform them.  (Read 646 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reactions that interact with those who perform them.
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:58 am »

This isn't that important for vanilla, but some mods have reactions that either produce "upgrade potions" for dwarves or boulders that evaporate and cause syndromes. The first method requires a lot of micro-management, including locking the dwarf in the room with the potion. The second method often fails. A good example of what this is used for, is learning magic spells.

This system would be much less cumbersome if there was a tag for a reaction that allows it to interact with the creature performing it, or a creature that was brought to it (say for equipping dogs with armour).
It would also help if such a reaction could be set to [ONCE] so that once successful, it won't ever become active again for that creature.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions that interact with those who perform them.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »

I'd like to see reactions that can cause interactions and interactions that can function as reactions. Nice and versatile.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sakkari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:50:18 am »

If you put a dwarf in exile, it should also affect dwarves close to him/her. Like if you exile a dwarf with a family, the direct family would leave too (not cousin, aunt, uncle, etc.).
"I'm no dwarf! I'm just a hobbit!"
-The Hobbit

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:34:54 am »

If you put a dwarf in exile, it should also affect dwarves close to him/her. Like if you exile a dwarf with a family, the direct family would leave too (not cousin, aunt, uncle, etc.).
This has nothing to do with my suggestion.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:24:56 pm »

It's a reasonable enough placeholder for potion-effects and possibly something like Gnomeblight (or at least have gnomes treat it like booze when it comes to stealing the stuff), but IMO when it comes to potions at least it should be folded into a system for dealing with equipment and belongings outside of clothes and military gear, similar to needing to have jewelery sorted out before artifacts get proper magic effects. Dwarves should be able to claim and use flasks and phials and waterskins of particular substances, and it should be possible to order dwarves to carry/use particular items.

sakkari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

Sorry there must have been a bug or something because I've never seen this post and I posted this in another forum.
"I'm no dwarf! I'm just a hobbit!"
-The Hobbit