Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf health care question  (Read 431 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarf health care question
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »

I have a carpenter who fell off of a stairway after deconstructing it (while he was still on it) and broke his jaw. My medical dwarf put him in a traction bench apparently to fix the problem, and the status of the carpenter's jaw became "fractured". However, the medical dwarf left, leaving the patient stuck in the traction bench to almost starve to death (no other dwarf was giving him food or water). I deconstructed the traction bench, and the carpenter got up and left, but almost immediately returned to the hospital, as his jaw had reversed to it's "broken" state.

I am using the masterwork mod, so I'm not sure if this kind of injury occurs naturally in vanilla dwarf fortress.

How am I supposed to fix this problem and make this dwarf a useful member of my fortress again?

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
  • [item_weapon:rat_flail]
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
Re: dwarf health care question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:14 pm »

He MUST stay in the traction bench to heal that type of injury. If he gets out of it before his jaw heals, it will re-break again. Find a couple of dwarfs that aren't doing anything important, burrow them in the hospital area, and make sure the labors for taking care of a patient are turned on for them. Make sure their burrow includes the food stockpile and a well for water, and that they have a bucket there to use for giving him water.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:51:49 pm by Mchccjg12 »