Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven energy production  (Read 1710 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven energy production
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:31:56 am »

Well, hydrogen is hard to stock in large enough quantities to power a car. And is highly explosive too.
Ooh, ooh, I read all about hydrogen! The problem is that producing it is a bit of a pain, and so is storing it and transporting it. But there was an entire chapter in a book about what we have now and a lot of it is pretty neat! There's a pretty big movement in chemistry to find catalysts that can break down water into hydrogen and oxygen at low or room temperatures, and I think we've made a few that are looking pretty good at this time. Actually, there are lots of ways to get it, and there have been similarly wacky schemes to produce it with bacteria (not sure if this is suitably dwarfy or not, but if I remember right there's some kind of bacteria-driven pyrite refinery in Australia).

There are also some crystals that can fit hydrogen inside and release it when heated, but most of them are expensive (like palladium, which has a spot price of about $700 US right now). Finding a cheap alloy that works as well is another pretty big Science Quest. Shipping will stay a problem, but since these materials can hold hydrogen at greater concentration without any pressure, a car off the tracks would probably just tip over and leak a bit (possibly burning) without a giant pressurized-hydrogen explosion.

Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic that we'll work something out with hydrogen eventually, because it looks like we're getting close to cheap production and storage. Distributing and getting it into use is a different story, but the science side of it is doing well.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:48 am »

Well, H2 as energy storage is fine for home applications, but with car, you always have the same problems. You need to carry your fuel, so you need something energy-dense. The good news is H2 is incredibly energy-dense, weigh-wise. That's why they use it in rockets. The bad news is that in pure form its dangerous and bulky if not liquefied.

Now, those alloy are great and stuff. Some of them actually have greater hydrogen content per unit volume than hydrogen itself (don't ask me how). But they're heavy. So we're loosing energy density.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:00 pm »

Well, we do have gallium-aluminum alloys that when mixed with water produce hydrogen gas, aluminum oxide, and free gallium. It's currently not efficient enough to be viable but we'll see.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 07:47:21 am »

Well, hydrogen is hard to stock in large enough quantities to power a car. And is highly explosive too.
We've been powering double deckers with the things for a while now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 08:23:48 am »

Well, my bad. And it seems they have decent efficiencies too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:22 am »

My constituency is getting double-deckers this fall 8) and I ride a commuter bus from a satellite town outside the city I go to school in, so at the stop I'll get to breeze past all the chumps waiting for the much lamer normal city transit with even more style than usual.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:05 am »

Okay, I was right about the pyrite-refining bacteria! They're used as a source of pure sulphur, not iron, but that's pretty cool (the wikipedia article is called bioleaching, there's a lot more about it but it's all in journals that don't explain how it works overall).
Pages: 1 [2]