Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortress event recording  (Read 439 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortress event recording
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:04:04 am »

it would be interesting if your dwarfs could keep a historic hall or area, while a fortress history can be maintained through engravings the type of engraving and the event it depicts tend to be to random for this.     The Historic hall could simply be a player created zone where any given type of engraving can only exist once and provide a true history of your fortress.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: fortress event recording
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »

This would be nice. It's been suggested before, though.

But yes, having a way to designate a wall to be engraved with relevant events rather than squares, random animals, and goblins making journeys three miles down the road.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »

I would like a nice way to record history too.

This would be nice. It's been suggested before, though.

But yes, having a way to designate a wall to be engraved with relevant events rather than squares, random animals, and goblins making journeys three miles down the road.
The engraving that bothers me the most is seeing the founding of my fort again... and again... and again... Then, I have the appointment of my "Expedition Leader" twenty times as well.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:13:32 am »

Then maybe is a question to consider that the dwarfs should widen their historical engravings to -let's say- the historical happenings of their 'home' civilization. Or maybe other facts such as the birthing of the first child in the fortress or the agriculture seasons, etc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:36:18 am »

I agree. The pool of events to draw from should be based on importance, not proximity.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »

What i would like to see is to have the player able to request certain engravings. Such as the chronological history of the fortress, or a recent event, for example, the megabeast you just killed.
Giving the player a bit more control over what gets put into the engravings would be REALLY nice.