Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jailbreaking iPad Mini  (Read 1083 times)

Swith

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I heard you liekd mudkips.
    • View Profile
Jailbreaking iPad Mini
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:36:13 pm »

Hi guys.

Call me lucky but I was given an iPad mini by some close family friends this christmas. I know, it's not a nexus, but I mean come on, a free iPad is a free iPad at the end of the day.

However, as is the nature of most things made by Apple, it feels extremely limited, and I was wondering if anyone knew much about jailbreaking them. Most of the sites I found were either fake, scams or charged money, so I wondered if anyone here had already done it and knew what the best way to go about it is.

I'm not that nooby when it comes to this kind of stuff so I'm not asking for some idiot proof plug in and press "unlock" sort of deal.

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

- Swith

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Jailbreaking iPad Mini
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »

Err. I personally don't know anything about this, but I'm just gonna say that this probably isn't the sort of thing the Great Toad wants discussed in these meeting halls. I think you should probably keep this sort of conversation in the PMs if you want it to last.

Just sayin'.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

Is Jailbreaking even illegal? I remember reading it wasn't (you can do what you want with stuff you buy...), but it might be just a Dutch thing for all I know.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »

Is Jailbreaking even illegal? I remember reading it wasn't (you can do what you want with stuff you buy...), but it might be just a Dutch thing for all I know.
Huh. After reading up on this it does seem to be a bit of a gray area... It voids the warrenty and Apple claimed it was illegal under some copyright shenanigans, but it might not be. Bit of an edgy topic, could go either way. AND it's different in different countries.  :o
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Swith

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I heard you liekd mudkips.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »

Err. I personally don't know anything about this, but I'm just gonna say that this probably isn't the sort of thing the Great Toad wants discussed in these meeting halls. I think you should probably keep this sort of conversation in the PMs if you want it to last.

Just sayin'.

oh, thought it would've been alright as i saw a thread about rooting androids!

kiozawa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »

i dont think tweaking an owned material can be illegal as long the act of tweaking doesnt harm someone else. declaring something falsely illegal however, can be a crime.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:57:30 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking#Recent_releases_of_jailbreaking_tools

Check if one of those tools applies to your model/version/whatevr.

And yes, jailbreaking was declared legal by the Library of Congress at some point, with one of those processes where they take ONE thing and make it legal. I think it expired this year or something, or maybe in another, so it may be a grey area again. Also it only applied to phones and not tablets (arbitrary distinction, just proves that copyright/patent laws are stupid).

Clearly it should be illegal to declare modifying stuff you bought illegal.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:16 pm »

You don't own an Apple device. You pay your tithes, and they graciously let you use it for as long as they see fit.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:47:13 am »

I don't know any countries where it is illegal. Probably about as illegal as overclocking. Apple tries to convince you that it's not legal, because they'd lose money if you do. But yeah, voids warranty.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.