Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF for !!ART!!.  (Read 804 times)

Achille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Achille's blog
DF for !!ART!!.
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »

Hi everyone,

First post on the forum, even thought i've been playing DF for now several years. I am an artist, actually a real engraver as I am a printmaker (you know, those people who etch and bite metal for a lifetime) so, obviously DF appeals to me. Moreover, since the MOMA bought DF, it is now an official medium for artistic means.

Here is a quick video I made for my work. I made it for people who do not know the game.

http://youtu.be/aLemOrjVftM

I have to admit I kinda wanted to brainfuq them.
I worked on the Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi, where the fresco, realised by Giotto and Cimabue, emphasise an architectural décor in trompe-l'œil style. These fresco were realised in the 13th century, and it was quite a blast in terms of spatial conception for the time.

Today, we have DF. As there is no third dimension (height) within an image on a flat screen, DF is not lying to us when it depicts a spatial object. It is shown as someone who would live a two dimensional world (within the image on the screen), would see it, only one two dimensional layer at a given time. And the third dimension is just an abstraction from our own third dimensional perspective.

So there you go. Hope you enjoy and find it full of interrogations for !!science!!.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:20:58 pm by Achille »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF for !!ART!!.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »

Welcome to the forums! That's a classy project; I know nothing about architecture, but always enjoy it when people build real-life locations in DF. Wonder why that isn't done more often.. *notes for next megaproject*  The fact that you dug it underground rather than building above gives it a very Cthulhu-mythos feel, actually. Ooh! See how many Forgotten Beasts you can capture and cage in the apse or along the arcade. Give the caravans something to fear.

Also, you seem to have resisted the temptation to cover every available square inch of the place in engravings, so well done =P   
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:59 am »

Get attic! That was boss. Truly a keystone to the simplicity of complexity. Well I daresay this captures the niche of DF and architecture in a way quite rotund. A sunburst of art!

Achille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Achille's blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Actually for the attic, I wanted to build a rib vault above but it was too much time. That would have been boss.