Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Placeable Pipes and Taps  (Read 645 times)

Meiun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Placeable Pipes and Taps
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:12:34 pm »

Some of this is likely planned and some has been suggested before.
Would just like to add more comprehensive reasoning.
Written from the perspective of potential uses for pipes and taps.

*Adding taps would provide some interesting uses for birch and maple trees (sugar and drinkable fluid production). On the negative side this would be perfect for some elfish food production.
**Modability wise goblins/vampire rulers/some demons/etc could perhaps install taps in some of their slaves to drink their blood or something.

*Placeable pipes could be used to refine water systems but it would all be very un-dwarfy.
**Taps could be applied to create south asian or roman style fountains for water.
**Could allow for undwarfy ways to transport magma.
***However transmiting molten metals through refactory lined insulated pipes is a real world thing. This could allow for transmitting magma without the need for environmental heat change calculation and reduce the number of fluid physics calculations.

*placeable pipes and taps could be combined for other uses. With a pump that could pick up gasses it would be possible to better weaponize steam and smoke.
**gas through pipes would allow for cleaner weaponization of gas/dust/inhaled projectile syndromes as well.
***if cage traps are to be nerfed then boiling oil and gas traps would be fairly logical alternatives. The would consume more in-game resources to set up on the positive side. On the negative side they would consume more computer resources.

*pipes with taps when combined with pressure plates and minecarts have high potential dwarfyness.
**streamlined draw bridge operated whale cannons

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Placeable Pipes and Taps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »

I could be wrong, but I believe I remember (official, never mind suggested) mention of pipes before.  Possibly big enough to crawl through, but not so large as to block the tile that they pass through.  In this way, a path could be created (albeit enforcing crawling) through a liquid-filled area, or liquids could be pumped 'through' an otherwise walkable area.  At least as long as things like the temperature of the liquid-filled/encompassed side of the pipe didn't cause problems, because I also recall there being ideas about water being pumped through magma-surrounded pipes, the heat transfer converting it to steam (although this might have been player-speculation, not Word Of God stuff), or else piping a little magma through a water reservoir to (overall, perhaps with a little bit of steam) warm the body of water up.

But that's memory alone, and could be skewed.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:41 am »

This would, at least, provide a use for all the artifact pipe sections that my blacksmiths keep making.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:20:31 am »

If pipes are implemented, I'd like to see two kinds: Large and small. Large pipes are like what is mentioned above, you can crawl through them and there's one pipe per tile.

Small pipes are smaller. You can put 7 (random number) pipes in one tile and have them all carry different things going different places. 3 or fewer pipes and you can walk on the tile, but over 3 and you have to fix/put in new pipes from the side.

I'd love to have hydraulic automation with a big cardio system of pipes.

Meiun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »

I could be wrong, but I believe I remember (official, never mind suggested) mention of pipes before.

this is correct and noted in the intro to the original post.
the intent is to provide more comprehensive reasoning behind the suggestions.

another thing is taps have more than one potential use. they aren't limited to water systems.
op is intended to merge two ideas and demonstrate a small addition that can be expanded into the larger system later.

beyond that refactory lined insulated pipes haven't really been noted or at least not in great detail.
there simply inst that much talk about specialized types of pipe being used as a way to reduce the number of thermal calculations done.
reduced computer resource usage is good to note.