Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I just survived a siege for the first time  (Read 2206 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just survived a siege for the first time
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:04 pm »

My first time was sheer luck: I got beseiged in my second fort by a lot of archers. I figured I was doomed and locked up my bridge. The other entrance was a drowner, but it was full and still draining from an ambush (I had poor drainage system). Goblins camp out when suddenly a human siege arrives!

And it is all archers too!  I watch the two armies have a massive shootout. Both sides suffer a few losses, but still linger and still waaay more than I can handle. Then they run out of ammo.

The militia squad had a good bit of fun that day cutting down 20+ defenseless goblins and 20+ defenseless humans
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 10:13:04 pm »

Hey, is it a good idea to piss off the humans?  It seems they are not the push-over hippies we all love to hate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:35 pm »

Well, they aren't hippies, but they're slightly more dangeorus than goblins. Not by a massive amount, though; if you can handle goblins sieging every single season, you can handle goblins and humans once a year. They might even handle each other for you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:11 pm »

Hey, is it a good idea to piss off the humans?  It seems they are not the push-over hippies we all love to hate.

They play differently than the goblins.  (I have never been elven sieged yet.)  They are a little larger than dwarves, but beyond that are not that much better armed or armored than the goblins; using iron and bronze for the most part.  If cavalry they usually have horses and camels.  Similar to goblins they usually have an elite fighter as a squad leader and elite bow/crossbow leaders are just as dangerous as the goblin ones.

The main difference seems to be that they are initially less aggressive to attack than the goblins.  They will hang out on the edge of the embark and literally build camp fires and stay around those.  You might be able to lure a squad into attacking eventually, but they do just seem to be willing to wait for you to come to them.  On the other hand, they also seem to be willing to break and run quicker than goblins do when wounded (or their leader is wounded or dismounted.)  I've sent dwarves to attack human squad camps and had the humans run the minute the first crossbow bolts started hitting them.

Given these behaviors you probably need to be willing to attack them in their camps, or have defenses extended to the embark edges - either to wall them in for attacking or something like an archery bunker for shooting at them until they decide to leave.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »

Humans, elves, and goblins all share the same mentally defficient pathfinding AI.

I abuse the crap out of that fact, to lead them into the "bridgeapult of doom" corridors.

Essentially, think this:

3 tile wide hallways built so that every 9 tiles, there is a 1x3 strip of "trip sensors" on the floor.

The bridge does not lift longwise. It lifts "fatwise", eg, the bridge is 3x long, and 9x wide.
This causes random trajectory entity fight paths. Beneath the corridor of doom, there are lots and lots of vertica spike traps in a floodable room, with a drain. Flooding is initated from 1x3 strips directly above the sensors, to wash intruders off the sensor, and allow it to reset.

It takes about 3 or more such sections to break really dedicated seige morale, but is ineffective against fliers. Lockdown bulkheads function to prevent desecrations by flying entity populations.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:43 pm »

So humans are just cowards/campers who sit around a campfire and sing songs until you come?  Is the loot any better than goblinite?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:15 am »

First siege survived would of been a elf one.

There was a valley that I build a bridge over and put a weapons trap at one end. They needed to cross it to get to my fortress. All dodged off the bridge and fell 8-z into a river and drowned. 30 elves and their animals killed without lifting a finger.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

In my masterwork game I have been attacked by three different sieges of ant men in a year, most of them armed with rusty steel. We smashed them all three times with only one casualty. But it balances out considering that my dwarfs are eating like kings and the antmen's skin is being turned into clothing for the fortress.
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.
Pages: 1 [2]