Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cluttering workshops - Whats the fastes way?  (Read 1999 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Cluttering workshops - Whats the fastes way?
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:32:08 pm »

Title says it all. With what could I possibly clutter a workshop that fastest way ?

I should be lowest amount of items. So using 100 items would be bad, using 3 items, would be awesome as a solution.

I need this for a mod about waste products, and just cant wrap my head around the system. Nothing seems to work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cluttering workshops - Whats the fastes way?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:44 pm »

The first one that comes to mind is the butcher's workshop, dwarfs never seem to haul the 500 skulls, nervous tissue, or any of the hundreds of random bones it gives you
1 corpse can equal hundreds of parts
Especially if FB

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:52 pm »

Unfortunately I can only create items. Bodyparts are off-limit in modding.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:29:52 pm »

Assuming the wiki is correct in all this...

Workshops become cluttered at 90000 units. Mined stone provides 10000 units due to its large volume. Tools, weapons, armour, and trap components all provide SIZE / 10 units of clutter, though armour may be out of the question as dwarves can make any armour during a mood.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »

I use this:
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SLAG]
[NAME:bar (massive):bars (massive)]
[VALUE:10]
[TILE:240]
[SIZE:6000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1][UNIMPROVABLE]

Its made of a custom material heavier then slade. And it does not work, its weight is capped at 1200*, never gets heavier (a boulder of the same material weights 20.000*) and I need hundrets of those to clutter one workshop.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:08:15 am »

Make a new material and make it super dense?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:08:53 am »

I have a new material, thats denser then slade.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:57:02 am »

Excuse me, I mean light. maybe there's a restriction on how heavy an object may be, and the SIZE is preventing that super-dense material from appearing to clutter the shop.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:48 am »

From what Sutremaine said and what is on the wiki:  Try changing the size from 6000 to something a bit more...more.  Try say 100,000 if you can, that should give you an item the size and weight of a stone boulder.  Then try scaling up from there.

You could also try fiddling with material size although I have no real idea how that affects things.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:31:16 am by hiroshi42 »
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:32:37 am »

Yeah, I try different things in modding... but I havent played in a year or so... so how get workshops usually cluttered now ? I havent seen any cluttered workshops in my testforts since... v34 I guess.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:07:24 am »

ah, clutter got changed a little while ago to handle things like big stacks of bones and meat and whatnot better. Apparently for version 34.06

As for clutter.  I personally only have problems with it if dwarves are not moving cloth to stockpiles for whatever reason or at my smelters where I just let bars pile up. 

Also with your density 200,000 materiel you would need your clutter TOOL item to be SIZE 1,650,000 to instantly max clutter a workshop.

Unless my math is horribly wrong
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:23:27 pm »

I'm not sure if density is used for clutter calculations. The wiki indicates that it's only the pure size of the item that counts, although it never directly states it.

How many of those size 6000 tools do you need to clutter a workshop? 150?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.