Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Runelord mod  (Read 943 times)

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Runelord mod
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:00 pm »

i was wondering if any could possible give me any information or help on developing of this mod. i recently started reading David Farland's runelord series and was fascinated by the granting of endowments. i have already started and currently have blood metal developed and in use and the nessacery works shops and skills needed  but i cant figure out to transfer attributes between the dedicate and the runelord. if any is interested or has any information please let me know.

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Runelord mod
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:43:44 pm »

currently you craft a forcible out of blood metal at the metalsmiths forge the send the forcible to the facilators workshop the engraved with one of the following runes: Strength, Metabolism, Stamina, Will, Grace are the current one the i am working on. as of now i have no way of of transfering the the granted endowment for the dedicate to the runelord in question.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:14:25 pm »

I think it would help people help you if you could translate this sentence:
granted endowment for the dedicate to the runelord in question

People not knowing the books have no idea what you are up to ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:33 pm »

Oh, I certainly had a mental image of what he was up to ;)

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »

ex: there are 5 dwarves, 1 facilator (the middle man) which the guy that takes your forcibles the item which is made of blood metal and engrave a rune of _____ attribute (endowment) and also take the attribute from the dedicate (the giver) the give to the runelord (receiver), 3 dedicates one giving strength, two giving stamina to the 1 runelord. i hope this helps with the confusion.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »

Good news: This can be done.

Bad news: This will take a long, long time to make.

You can do it using a lot of interaction usage limited to specific castes (runelords)... the facilator would gain the interaction for a short time by a boiling rock with CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION, and the reaction that creates this boiling rock would use your blood-metal item with runes... so yeah, possible.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:14 pm »

cool, but how do i get dwarf 1's unbelievable stamina added to runelord 1's unbelievable stamina and take away from dwarf 1's stamina and set it to a lower value.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:18 pm »

First, you learn how interactions work, by reading the wiki. Search for interaction token and syndrome token for the two relevant pages.

With CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE you can change attributes... so your facilator would target your runelord and gives him +++ and targets himself and gives --- to this same attribute.

I cant give you a step by step tutorial, because eveything gets complex quite fast. Its easier if you yourself undertand what you are doing.

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:16:56 pm »

ok thanks very much Meph.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »

Having read several of the Runelord books I can provide a little bit more information on exactly what is and isn't possible about the system in DF:

0)If you wish for any dwarf to be able to become a runelord rather then a given caste it might be easier to use food carrying syndromes instead of a boiling stone to enable the interaction. The basic method would be something like:
     a)Facilitator makes forcible into a cheese type food item called "rune of _____ forcible"
     b)you lock the runelord into a room with the food and the dedicate into an adjacent one with a fortification allowing sight from one into the other
     c)runelord eats the food enabling him to steal the attribute from the other dwarf with an interaction
Not exactly the same as the book, but it would allow you to make a runelord out of any dwarf instead of only specific ones. Just make sure not to leave any of that "rune of strength forcible" cheese lying around the dining hall.

1)Right now you can have interactions that edit all of the attributes listed here, as well as directly change speed (CE_SPEED_CHANGE, which would be closer to a metabolism endowment then agility would be) and luck of a sort (CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST, which can throw a percent modifier onto skill roles).

2)There currently isn't a way to handle vectors, since the game won't track who dwarves have given endowments to. Similarly there currently isn't a way to make a runelord lose their endowment should the dedicate die or the dedicates regain it should the opposite happen. As such all enhancements or decreases of an attribute are permanent unless later canceled out by giving/taking an endowment.

3)You can make it so that dedicates can't give away endowments multiple times (apply a harmless syndrome and then use IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS to prevent all of the dwarves that have the "dedicate" syndrome from giving an endowment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mongoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »

well i didn't plan using vectors because i thought that it would get entirely to complicated but i was hoping to be able to have endowment removed from a runelord if his dedicate died or have the endowment returned to the dedicate if the runelord died. also i'm think that ill not be able to have metabolism make them age faster either but was hoping that i'd add a skill learning modify for metabolism or wit. no i didn't plan on making it a caste, so that any dwarf could receive endowments. as soon i get the actual interaction working i wanted to start working on forcing endowments from animals and captured enemies.