Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Toady might be getting a big donation soon  (Read 20376 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady might be getting a big donation soon
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2013, 04:41:10 pm »

Aww. well just donated, hope you guys do too. Sad to see Toady's normal massive xmas donation didnt happen this year.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »

Still, biggest donation year ever. I mean seriously did ANYONE expect this? I mean really? We should celebrate what did happen, as opposed to what might have happened.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2013, 05:00:00 pm »

No guys, don't you get it?
Toady DID get $50,000 in the donation!

Want proof? Here:

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:41 pm »

But not all in one donation.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:53 am »

But not all in one donation.

*woosh*

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:43 am »

What does he do with all that money? He's a single guy living without kids or a wife in a flat with his brother. Even in suburban Seattle, that doesn't command that high of a cost of living.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:58 am »

Food, rent, electricity, savings.
Thats the first thing I could think of.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:37 am »

Also, Scamps.  Do not forget Scamps.  Scamps has needs that must not be discounted.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

what really? that's the average wage for a skillset such as Toadys over there?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:16 pm »

what really? that's the average wage for a skillset such as Toadys over there?

Toady has a Ph.D. in math (I think - I know he has a Ph.D.) and is clearly a computer wizard, so he definitely could make at least twice what he gets from donations working in the private sector.  Also, remember he has to pay to run the website and all.  And a normal job would have benefits like health insurance, etc.  Bottom line, the donations Toady gets are probably just barely enough for him to get by, and he could easily be living very comfortably if he wanted to quit working on DF and get a job.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:43 pm »

I must point out Toady made $50k a year in his last job. So, things are balanced if that's what he's made this year.

I also point out as he turned down a $300k deal with another company because he thought the donations would cease, he might not report a donation of $50k for a similar reason.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:27 pm »

I must point out Toady made $50k a year in his last job. So, things are balanced if that's what he's made this year.

I also point out as he turned down a $300k deal with another company because he thought the donations would cease, he might not report a donation of $50k for a similar reason.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Toady's last job a postdoc?  There is a huge jump in salary between what a Ph.D. makes during postdoctoral training and in an actual job.  Also, postdocs get benefits - generally fairly good benefits.  I maintain that Toady could easily make in the 100k range if he were to get a job in industry.  See, for example this page.  And I seriously doubt he'd have trouble finding a job if he wanted one.  Please don't tell me you can't think of any huge evil corporations in Seattle who like to hire up creative computer wizards...

So, yes, Toady probably is making enough to support himself, and maybe even is making a fairly average salary for someone living in Seattle.  But the argument that he is making a fair wage given his education and experience is complete and total crap.  Toady makes this game as a labor of love, and we are all indebted to him for doing it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »

Alright then, I think we can come to an agreement that Toady is weird. But what genius isn't? Just reading your average combat log shows how much thought he put into the bloody part of it.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:19 pm »

If nothing else, Toady knows that nothing gets donaters running to their checkbooks like sdwarfs using elf's guts as a weapon against a similarly armed goblin horde.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]