Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dry Cell Battery Rechargers (Real-Life)  (Read 755 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Dry Cell Battery Rechargers (Real-Life)
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »

Having recently come into some spending money, I decided to revisit rechargable batteries. My last experience with them was in the mid-1970s. At that time they were expensive, short-lived, slow-charging, and probably alkaline although they could have been lithium-ion. I figured 40 years should have improved the product, and it appears I am correct, but now there are so many options that I am finding the choice difficult.

It appears that what I should be buying are nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. That much seems clear. The difficulty in choice comes in the charger. I am not looking for the cheapest option if it comes at the cost of utility and safety. We use mostly AA and D batteries, some AAA, a few 9V, and we have at least one item that uses C.

So, has anyone any experience with the various brands and models, that they would be willing to share?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Cell Battery Rechargers (Real-Life)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:47:51 pm »

Through work I have found the most time efficient method to be to rig up my own charger from a desktop power supply, for reasons of time. Tough I am often using Yuasa gel-cells (top quality, used in most industrial applications) which can cope with such abuse. As long as you go for a decent brand name of cell and charger, the type of charger itself is pretty much an irrelevance - all they really do is deliver a trickle current after all.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:18 pm »

What even uses C batteries anymore? I haven't used a C for as long as I can remember.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »

What even uses C batteries anymore? I haven't used a C for as long as I can remember.
The ignition glow on our kerosene heater uses two C batteries.  Which is exactly how many good C cells we had in the house when the power failed for 36 hours last month, in below-freezing temperatures.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.