Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180615 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1935 on: December 27, 2012, 02:39:12 pm »

What if he doesn't want you to help? Because if he wanted you to help, he would have told you in a way that doesn't require interpretation.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

And what analogy? I missed that. And lazy to search
This one.

Your problem that you want to apply your logic to the God's.
No, we are applying our logic to what you are telling us about God.

You try to  decide for him what is boring, what is right. What is  wrong. It doesn't work that way. He is not you.
It’s incongruous to make assertions about God an his priorities then turn around and tell us we can’t do the same thing.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 27, 2012, 02:55:04 pm »

And what analogy? I missed that. And lazy to search
This one.

I answered that. You mix free will, superpower and right to do anything without consequences
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 27, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

Okay, looks like a definition conflict. UR, would you mind giving your definition of free will?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 27, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »

I answered that. You mix free will, superpower and right to do anything without consequences
No, this is not about consequences. I have not the choice to fly under my own power “with consequences”. I have not the choice to fly under my own power at all. I have been restricted. By denying me that choice, he has impinged upon my free will.

He could have restricted the hypothetical rapist too, as he has denied me the power to fly, and that would be the right thing to do, and it is what we would expect of any human being, but that would have been to “ignore a right for free will of murderer and rapist”, as you put it. If being precluded from hurting people is a violation of free will, then so is being precluded from flying under my own power.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »

Y'know, in America we have a saying about rape: the victim is never at fault.
If you mean that you can't blame someone for being raped that's true. You need to live in Saudi Arabia for that

But that women couldn't choose another path to avoid rape is bullshit.

She could choose associates better
She could learn self defense
She could carry a gun

And so on...

Protecting own body and honor is a duty
We are responsible for whatever that happens with us

So you essentially blame the victim of any sort of crime for being a victim of that crime? Do you expect people to predict the future, or something? You do realize that it's not in any way plausible to expect people to predict most of these things, or to avoid all significant risk, right?

The idea that people have some culpability when it comes to protecting themselves is one thing, but expecting people to live their lives in an extremely paranoid fashion that minimizes all risks no matter what, or to be downright precognitive, and to have the ability to prevent any and all crimes attempted against them, is ludicrous. Also, this might surprise you, but very many rapes are not committed by strangers in dark alleys.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:08:48 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 27, 2012, 04:23:14 pm »

If I go down a dark alley at 3 am and get mugged, it's still the mugger's fault. That I acted foolish does not in any way, shape, or form absolve the mugger of anything. Nor am I any less deserving of sympathy/etc.

Rape, of course, is a billion times larger in magnitude than that.

Anyway, g-flex is right: IIRC most rapes are performed by people who are at least acquaintances of the victim. Same goes for molestation, kidnapping, etc. Rapists/murderers who strike at random are rare, and you've got about as much chance of getting targeted by one of those as winning the lottery, so advice along the lines of "carry a gun" is ludicrously paranoid.

Long story short: you want to give helpful advice to reduce risks? Great. But if someone doesn't follow that advice and gets hurt, you sure as hell better still give them the sympathy they deserve.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

Let us remember the point that is being made with what he said. It’s even a bit colder than withholding sympathy. He was offering it as a reason that God does not intercede to protect people from rapists. UR, is suggesting that, because it’s your fault that you were raped, you did not deserve to be saved from that fate. That is his point. UR is saying that rape victims do not deserve divine assistance. It’s a thoroughly revolting idea.

To excuse God’s neglect by saying that God wanted us to make our own choices is to tacitly imply that crimes are committed between consenting adults. If a woman is attacked, or, for that matter, anyone is attacked, she certainly isn’t being given a choice. No one chooses to be raped or murdered.
It's not quite true.
1)No one chooses to be raped or murdered willingly, but no one said about mistakes. If you sin, then you suffer consequences. That may get you raped and murdered... What is even worse you can and will pay for  sins of the others

Rape is a “consequence”. It’s your fault. Notice that this is being offered as a reason that God would not intervene.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:35:25 pm by Fenrir »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:29 pm »

Statistically, 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rapes. So wouldn't it be harmful for the greater good if God intervened?

Edit: :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:21:31 pm by Hiiri »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: December 27, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

the enjoyment isn't remotely close to the suffering caused.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 27, 2012, 04:48:42 pm »

I think, and sincerely hope Hiri was being sarcastic.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »

I think, and sincerely hope Hiri was being sarcastic.

What was the sarcasm font again..? :P
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]