Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Above ground forts?  (Read 6218 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground forts?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:45 am »

[snip]

The only problem here is that I cannot identify that mysterious vampire who has currently preyed on three unlucky receiving ends: luckier for me, they were disposable.

The military test.  Send the suspicious ones on detail stationed without food.  The living ones will get hungry. [and thirsty]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 12:58:55 pm »

Are you going to build all buildings with wood? If not, you can build a with clay boulders (not bricks, use the raw clay boulder), so you can get infinite amounts of boulders from a single clay floor.

This. I like this in desert maps with an aquifer under clay. Feels like an African village.

Savanna biome would be more appropriate than desert for an African village.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

God, if you embark in the desert make sure you have enough food and a cistern. Im doing an above ground fort right now, most of dwarves are barely living and theres a constant food shortage, not to mention that the moat isnt finished, let alone the wall.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:09 pm »

Ok pisskop, I'm kind of on the right track concerning indentification of Vamps, but I have one more question.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a cave in the middle of my above-ground fort but I cannot access it as the cave is in the middle of a river as well. Does that mean the natural underground cavern is a few feet below it? Let me repeat: it does not open up to the ground.

EDIT:
It turns out that Logem my talented grower (disposable as well, already training many dabblers on a mega farm.) is a vampire, since she has been on detail in front of the gate where goblins come out of for about 6 months already. And yes I am planning on using her as point for all the other marksdwarfs.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:10:03 pm by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 01:23:26 am »

Ok pisskop, I'm kind of on the right track concerning indentification of Vamps, but I have one more question.

I have a cave in the middle of my above-ground fort but I cannot access it as the cave is in the middle of a river as well. Does that mean the natural underground cavern is a few feet below it? Let me repeat: it does not open up to the ground.

EDIT:
It turns out that Logem my talented grower (disposable as well, already training many dabblers on a mega farm.) is a vampire, since she has been on detail in front of the gate where goblins come out of for about 6 months already. And yes I am planning on using her as point for all the other marksdwarfs.

sounds easy enough. lock her up in a separate part of the fort, have her airlock food to the main part of your fort and send the seeds back when you're done with them. if your fort is anything like the many i've built, farming is a task that quickly gets vastly more productive than needed anyways.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 04:08:47 pm »

EDIT:

[Snip] if your fort is anything like the many i've built, farming is a task that quickly gets vastly more productive than needed anyways.

Oh, I have an idea about how productive it can get. My farms compared to yours born of many forts of experience should be just baby work. 

I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:44 am »

If you do an above ground desert embark, you're technically INSANE. Of course that's a prereq for playing DF anyway, so it's neither here nor there. But don't wimp out. If you're embarking in a desert do it in one with an aquifer.

I once built a desert oasis using pumps to create Artisan Wells. Deep soil, so I was going down 6z to the aquifer and then using four wide stacks of pumps (Green Glass) to draw water up to fill the wells. I got very lucky because there was a small hill with a supply of lignite that I could get without really digging. After that the hardest part was getting enough wood for the windmills to power it.

On a twenty wind map. *shudder*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 01:37:58 am »

It's been several versions since I've checked, but I believe that in order to trigger strange moods you need to have a minimum number of tiles dug out.  No picks, no artifacts.

I think you need to have tiles revealed, not necessarily dug out.  If you embark on a volcano, and drop a cat, child, or useless cheesemaker into the volcano, they'll discover the whole magma sea on their way down, which ought to be enough to let your other dwarves get moods.

You're both incorrect on that matter: Strange moods occur after your population has exceeded 20 dwarves for the first time. So, if you cap your population to something below 7 before embarking, and the two initial migrant waves don't raise your population to 20, then the only way you'll ever start to see moods is if you permit the migrants to breed until there are enough children to push your population over 20.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 2 [3]