Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military squad names  (Read 5847 times)

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
Military squad names
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »

Give your best military squad names, random or otherwise.

I tend to name mine after minerals in an alliterative fashion:
  • The Alunite Axes
  • The Hematite Hammers
  • The Cassiterite Crossbows
  • The Selenite Swords
  • etc...
Basically a dwarfy name that's easy to recognize when selecting from the squad screen. What do you guys do?
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military squad names
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »

I just use the random ones. Like to pretend the captains thought of them themselves. :P Godenetes has The Standards of Gravel, The Bridled Bodices, The Short Orbs, The Barricaded Emeralds, The Crystalline Echoes (only one Echo, really) at the moment. Except for the echo they're all geared as marksdwarfs.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »

Arguably the best random name I got was "The Wicked Moistness" for an axedwarf squad. The only member at the time was a female axedwarf militia commander who I assume named it herself...  ::)

Recently I've taken to setting up a squad of daggerusers tooled up in full copper armor and the best grade metal daggers we got. The squads are always named Daggerdogs, in honor of the first such squad I incorporated in one of my more long-term fortresses. Any useless dwarves I deem not good enough to be a hauler gets dumped in to prove their worth and granted the profession of "Daggerpup." Dwarves who survive long enough to do some feat of awesomeness or become proficient knife users get promoted to "Daggerdog" while the truly kickass and champions are deemed "Daggerwolf."

I'm getting into the habit of thinking up such names for all my weapon-squads, if only so I can keep track of them better. Currently the speardwarf ranks are "Spearbutt" recruits, "Spearshaft" soldiers, and "Spearhead" Urist McBadasses/captains. I've yet to think of a good name for the spear squad itself.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

Back in the times when my cpu could support large populations I used to name them just "Legion I", "Legion II" and so on.
Now one of my squad is named "choppa" and the other "shoota".
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »

Random names are great. I have "The Just Lancers" and "The Primitive Knives", but also "The Ochre Allegiances", which sounds slightly psychedelic and "The Morality of Tongs" (possibly an anti-torture statement?).

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »

I was doing a slave camp-esque fort and my "secret police" squad (mostly RP, charged with jailing and executing the unwanted or troublesome) was named "the Constructive Trades." Indeed, they were trained in the useful.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:06:52 pm »

My best random squad name was "The Squashed Breads."  Full of legendary axemen.

Now that you can name squads I just break them up into companies and squads and name them appropriately.  1st Comp Squad 1, 2nd Comp Squad 1, etc.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

I use the random names, and then edit a notation on the front such as "MX" for (Militia Xbow) or RA (Reservist Axe).  That makes them sort nicely in Dwarf Therapist by squad, and also easy to see in the squad list what the squad's status and primary weapon is.

In the current fort I have an aptly named crossbow squad: The Zenith of Bolting.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:56 am »

I used to love some of the sillier random ones, but for the sake of utility I've been renaming all mine. I try to keep it in the same style though, such as 'The Axes of Fondling' for axedwarves or 'The Pokey Rods' for speardwarves.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 03:06:36 am »

My favorite ever military squad name was "The God-Mechanism of Fists". They were wrestlers.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:03:35 am »

Arguably the best random name I got was "The Wicked Moistness" for an axedwarf squad. The only member at the time was a female axedwarf militia commander who I assume named it herself...  ::)

Recently I've taken to setting up a squad of daggerusers tooled up in full copper armor and the best grade metal daggers we got. The squads are always named Daggerdogs, in honor of the first such squad I incorporated in one of my more long-term fortresses. Any useless dwarves I deem not good enough to be a hauler gets dumped in to prove their worth and granted the profession of "Daggerpup." Dwarves who survive long enough to do some feat of awesomeness or become proficient knife users get promoted to "Daggerdog" while the truly kickass and champions are deemed "Daggerwolf."

I'm getting into the habit of thinking up such names for all my weapon-squads, if only so I can keep track of them better. Currently the speardwarf ranks are "Spearbutt" recruits, "Spearshaft" soldiers, and "Spearhead" Urist McBadasses/captains. I've yet to think of a good name for the spear squad itself.
Spearpoints?
Pointspears?
Spearstabs?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:46:03 am »

One of my favorites, randomly generated, was also one of my first military squads -- The Moist Bells.  It, of course, turned out to contain nothing but female dwarves.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 02:24:15 pm »

I love the name of one of my current fort's squads..."The Coal of Duty".   
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _