Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden FPS death  (Read 2473 times)

Nicolai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden FPS death
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »

Hi,
FPS Death, the true nemesis in DF, has sneaked up on me, but I don't understand why.
Game was running quite well, at 120 FPs, and then suddenly dropped (not declined) to 20.

Is there anything I can do? Anything "normal" that can cause this, that I can get rid off?
I'm using the masterworks mod, in an attempt to improve FPS.

I'm kind of thinking, that since it was such a sudden drop, something specific must be causing it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden FPS death
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »

A couple of questions:
1)Is it possible that you just had some goblin ambushes show up? If you are under attack by invisible units it can really slow down your game until you manage to kill them.
2)Did you recently start any projects with liquids? Specifically magma pumps or lots of moving water?
3)Are there any large lakes in your caverns? If a very hot FB showed up and dove into one of the lakes it could be causing enough water movement that it is slowing your game down.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:16:54 pm »

you could be having some weather related problems.  What biome are you in?  evaporating or gathering water in murky pools kills my FPS in warmer climates.

heheh Firefox does not recognize biome
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Nicolai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »

Hi,
Not a really warm biome. Water freezes in winter.

I have had many ambushes and invasions, over time. I will check if I can find units around the map.
I have started running the river into my fort, for water, but I have been doing this for a long time, before the fps drop. I am trying to stop flow now, and see if it changes anything (takes awhile to clear the cannals, with 20 fps).
No forgotten beasts have showed up yet, and I have tried my best, not to explore caverns yet, although I have broken through to them.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:45:54 pm »

hmmm. and the cavern breakthrough did not coincide with the FPS loss?  That can drain FPS especially if you have large areas for moss to grow although I have never experienced that much of an immediate drop.

you might also try using DFhack reveal to see if you are leaking water or magma or to check for unseen visitors.

also: are you channeling or digging massively?  I have noticed my terraform efforts have an immediate effect that goes away when it is halted
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »

I have noticed my terraform efforts have an immediate effect that goes away when it is halted

There is also a bug report that indicates the same thing happens with large smoothing designations.

Other possible culprits: are you dwarves suddenly trying to path somewhere that is behind a restricted- or low-traffic designation? Do you have dwarves trying to path to disconnected parts of the cavern, i.e. places you can see but with uncharted territory in between? Note that this one would also cause "cannot find path" cancellation spam, unless you've disabled those in your announcements file, if that's possible.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:06:32 am »

Could also be that something was killed down in the caverns and it has just begun emitting large amounts of miasma. In masterwork there is a lot of fighting between the creatures and monsters in the caverns.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:13 am »

There is also a bug report that indicates the same thing happens with large smoothing designations.

This has a huge effect. Designating half a z-lvl for smoothing brings down my FPS below 5 immediately. Designating smaller areas one by one helps a lot.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:05 am »

Did you sound a civilian alert and is the burrow you assigned for this alert disconnected?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:40:10 am »

I'm gonna take a shot here and say that it might be your computer?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Nicolai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:46:46 am »

I gave up on the fort. I tried everything, nothing made any impact.
So I abandoned.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13:53 am »

I gave up on the fort. I tried everything, nothing made any impact.
So I abandoned.

20FPS? Back in the day we were content with FIVE. I only ditched a fort when it dropped to <1FPS due to a channeling fuckup.
I had to wait for a DF upgrade to fix the issue.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:54 pm »

20FPS? Back in the day we were content with FIVE. I only ditched a fort when it dropped to <1FPS due to a channeling fuckup.
I had to wait for a DF upgrade to fix the issue.
Yeah, and you had to haul your -pig tail fiber sock- uphill in the snow, both ways, while fighting off goblin ambushers, who were nowhere near as easy to kill as the weakling gobbos you kids get to fight these days.  :P

Check to see if anything's trapped somewhere and trying to path, especially path through the caverns. Big mining and smoothing designations will also do it.