Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem with the merchants  (Read 575 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
problem with the merchants
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:05:00 am »

how lond does it take for the merchants to leave after the liason left already ?

I succesfully traded a few goods, however the merchants wouldn't leave for a whole month

hoping they would get the hint, I removed the trade depot, and now all the merchants goods are just lying there, while my dwarfes happily move them to my stockpiles
are these goods now officaly mine, or will the merchants take their revenge on me ?

also, another month passed (now it's late autumn) since the removal, and the merchants haven't left yet

is it normal that the merchants stay for such a long time ?

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: problem with the merchants
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:25:00 am »

Merchants and liaison are totally independent when it comes to leaving your fort.

Merchants might stay for a whole season before leaving. If they are not gone by winter, then you've got a bug.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:27:00 am »

and me taking their items like that is ok ?

sounds like something that needs to be fixed soon, else I know perfectly well what i will do with the next caravan

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:50:00 am »

It counts against you the same as if you had seized the goods.  You may get visited by a human invasion force if you made them mad enough.  If the caravan returns next year you can try to make it up to them by making unprofitable trades (extra profitable for them) to clear up the trade deficit.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

the caravan I robbed were dwarfes, and it was the first caravan that visited my fortress

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

Dwarves will never siege you, but if you steal enough stuff they will stop coming eventually.

Gelmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »

Merchants stay around usually for at least a couple of months, while liasons prefer to leave as soon as their business is concluded. I'm not sure why you wanted to drive the merchants away so badly, but in general traders tend to fare badly and buggily if you do things like seal them in a closed room or deconstruct the depot they're trading at. Try rebuilding the depot, and they might return to trade and then leave...or maybe not. Maybe they'll go insane. who knows?

As for taking their goods, everything in your fort belongs to you except for things in the inventories of people who aren't your dwarves. When merchants reach your trade depot, however, they deposit their stuff in the trade depot, which distinguishes between the traders' property and your own - thus deconstructing it destroys that distinction, and when the trade depot is gone all the goods within are immediately claimed by your dwarves.

The result of this, however, will be exactly the same as any other method of stealing from caravans (such as hungry dwarves swiping food, or you commanding them to seize the traders' stuff) - the traders will put up no resistance whatsoever, but their civilization will get angry at you when they return with tales of your theiving dwarves. That said, if you don't care about that, and are willing to endure the everlasting hate of humans and elves and even your fellow dwarves, don't go through the trouble of constantly rebuilding and deconstructing, simply seize the traders' goods.