Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seiges, will they go away if I ignore them?  (Read 588 times)

onefishbluefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seiges, will they go away if I ignore them?
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

My fortress is currently being seiged. The goblins are kind enough to stay at the corner of the map, but their presence still irks me. I have no military to speak of, and I'm hoping the goblins will just go away after a while.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seiges, will they go away if I ignore them?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

Yes, they will go away eventually.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:22:00 am »

On my current fortress they show up every winter, stomp around on the edges of the map and leave just before the first caravan comes. Kind of annoying when you're trying to gather wood but otherwise harmless.

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

If you kill them you can buy an entire caravan from the armor they drop.

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

Anyone have advice on killing big sieges of 20+ gobs?  I have a legendary armorer and still sustained major casualties taking them out.  I used marksdwarves to melee dwarves about 3-1, had about 15 well trained military including a couple legendary.  Almost all died attacking the goblins and my catapult didn't do much either.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DonerKebab:
<STRONG>Anyone have advice on killing big sieges of 20+ gobs?</STRONG>

You can dig underneath them and station a few squads there. Then dig an up ramp right under a goblin. The one standing on the designated square will fall down and be stunned. Your dwarves will rush him and any other goblins who are stupid enough to come and find out what happened to their friend. If no more goblins come down, dig another ramp. Repeat until the air is clean. You'll have very few casualties - just be careful that they don't kill your miner.

Or, you could use siege equipment.

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

theyll leave eventually, just use siege engines to kill as many as you can then collect the armor etc once theyre gone

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DonerKebab:
<STRONG>Anyone have advice on killing big sieges of 20+ gobs?  I have a legendary armorer and still sustained major casualties taking them out.  I used marksdwarves to melee dwarves about 3-1, had about 15 well trained military including a couple legendary.  Almost all died attacking the goblins and my catapult didn't do much either.</STRONG>

Numbers.  Numbers, and good crossbows and bolts.  You can count on only a third of your dwarves on the field at once, if that.  Highly skilled marksdwarves will mostly only shoot faster and arrive on the scene earlier-- meaning they'll fill the air with bolts, then rush in to die.  I've had best results with huge numbers of temporarily drafted non-military dwarves with crossbows.  More dwarves = more bolts.  It helps that every new draft will start out with a full quiver, whereas experienced dwarves may be a couple bolts short of a stack, possibly in more ways that one.

Beware of speed differences.  Patrol near the goblins, but out of range, until you reach a semi-stable number of troops, or else your troops will rush in one by one and die.

War dogs.  They are helpful cannon fodder.  Think of them as ablative armor for your marksdwarves.  It helps that they're always on duty.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.