Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Freerunners.  (Read 1374 times)

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Freerunners.
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »

So I've never figured Goblins could Assasin's Creed their way over structures and topple it at the same time!

Now I'm not sure my fortress is as secure as that Bay12er from the Above Ground Forts thread said so.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Freerunners.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »

Maybe they were riding flying creatures?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:13 pm »

Flying, wooden structure-destroying creatures

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:14 am »

They are most probably flying. There should be no way for creatures to destroy (b+C)onstructed buildings.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:09 am »

They are most probably flying. There should be no way for creatures to destroy (b+C)onstructed buildings.
Those goblins destroyed a wooden bridge. Granted I have no idea how, seems like you have gate crasher goblins on your hand :P

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:38:42 am »

Those goblins destroyed a wooden bridge. Granted I have no idea how, seems like you have gate crasher goblins on your hand :P
There's the problem.

Seriously, no idea how that could have happened, you can't even mod creatures to destroy constructions, so it being a glitch is highly unlikely.
The only thing I can guess is that it wasn't completed yet and he thought it was.
I can't believe how long it can take dwarves to answer the call of building a draw bridge. Building that useless seige workshop for a noble, no problem, building that draw bridge to save the whole fortress, it can wait another year...

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:22:31 am »

Seriously, no idea how that could have happened, you can't even mod creatures to destroy constructions, so it being a glitch is highly unlikely.
The only thing I can guess is that it wasn't completed yet and he thought it was.
I can't believe how long it can take dwarves to answer the call of building a draw bridge. Building that useless seige workshop for a noble, no problem, building that draw bridge to save the whole fortress, it can wait another year...
That may be a potential answer, but I thought it was just a glitch. No I've killed Wuvul the Demonic master of goblins already so shouldn't have been flying creatures. I am absolutely sure the bridges were all finished, maybe it's the orientation? The main feature (and yet not a visible feature) of all the bridges that block out my fortress from the outer lands is that they should all face inside save my entrance bridges. Maybe that same feature caused a lot of wear and tear from the outside. I can imagine spawned trolls scratching at the wooden bridges day and night outside the fort.

All in all, I know I'm renovating the bridges slowly to hold better stone-like glass bridges. stone block bridges. Bah checked the wiki if they can allow glass blocks for construction. Me plans were foiled.

Well ah checked the wiki again and it says the direction the bridge will be facing when raced will be the side that will act as a wall. Welp all me bridges should be facing inside, so I must go double-time on the renovation.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:30:04 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »

Material of a bridge doesn't matter at all except for determining it's resistance to temperature effects (if a hot thing like magma or dragonfire goes over the tiles a bridge would occupy if it was lowered, even if it is currently raised, then the bridge can be destroyed).

Also did you try to move the bridge while there were goblins with mounts on/under it? Large creatures can't be smashed, so if you try to raise the bridge while they are on it it won't go up, and if you try to smash them the bridge will break.

Other then that, yeah, make sure all of your bridges are raising the right direction.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.