Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Slow Crawl of Time (And more!)  (Read 941 times)

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Slow Crawl of Time (And more!)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »

Yep, that'd do it. Mighty low, though.. There are several things that could cause such a low FPS. Tall cliffs, large amounts of creatures, lots of flows.. I've also discovered that having too many/too large designations out will cripple your FPS as well. I once had most of my rather large fortress designated for smoothing (a project for my engravers, so they'd never be idle), and my FPS went down to the single digits because of it. At the time, I thought the recent influx of immigrants was just too much for my poor ol' computer, but I later discovered what was really causing it when I canceled all those designations and everything sped up drastically--my FPS still wasn't hitting 100 as would be ideal, but it was MUCH higher than it had been (50-ish, if I recall correctly). I'm not sure if it's just smoothing, or other designations will do it as well. Or if only some of them, which ones.

Kidinnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Slow Crawl of Time (And more!)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>

Incidentally, one of these "turns" of yours is called a frame.</STRONG>

Actually, no, it's one time step of simulation. There's a separate setting in the init file, G_FPS_CAP, which is the actual frames-per-second limit; I'm not aware of a way to display the actual fps on the screen.

Pages: 1 [2]