Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inquisitor: Of the RPGs of yore...  (Read 1874 times)

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inquisitor: Of the RPGs of yore...
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:40 am »

Inquisitor

“The game brings you, a medieval inquisitor, to a gloomy world full of heresy, betrayal and devilish plots. You will hunt for perpetrators of the most atrocious crimes and you will meet a lot of cunning enemies. You will find yourself in the midst of a powerful conspiracy striving to destroy even the foundations of the thousand-year old Empire. As one of the three main characters you will explore all the mysteries of this depressing world and gain reputation of a fearless inquisitor and a witch hunter. Carry out dozens of secondary quests and develop your potential in order to face the more powerful and dangerous enemies and challenges. And remember—everything you do depends just on your own choice!”

It doesn't seem that there has been much, or any mention, of this new 'old-school' RPG hereabouts.  I have not played it, but I am rather interested in the idea and execution of the game.  It seems to harken back to the Black Isle masterpieces as well the classic aRPGs of yore.  The visual style is appealing and most accounts I've read lament/applaud the massive amount of text and brutal gameplay.  All of which seems to meet the requisite characteristics of a good time.

Share your thoughts!  If you've bought it, help me/us decide if it's worth a go.

More info:

Have a watch of the trailer.

RPS covered it last month and a few times before that.

There is always the game's website!

And, if you're sold on the idea, mosey on over to GOG.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:59:57 pm by Carrion »

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Inquistor: Of the RPGs of yore...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:54 am »

I only played it for a couple of hours, in the first town. It's a weird game, but in a good way. It's a RPG, a sort of mix between BG2, Diablo 2, and maybe Divine Divinity. It is played like a hack-n-slash, but the quests reminded me of BG2. You can play as a rogue, a priest or a paladin, and you can further customize/specialize your class. But you also can have followers. The dialogues are well written, with a lot of lore bits everywhere. Finally, the game is kinda hard.

From what I've played/seen, I like it!
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »

That's what I've gathered so far.  It doesn't really seem amazingly inventive as far as game mechanics are concerned, but the setting and visual aesthetic is what grabs me.  I'm really itching to get my hands on it, but I've still got my hesitations--mostly due to the price tag. 

Let us know how it progresses, if you would be so kind.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:59:10 pm »

Certainly very a attention grabbing aesthetic.

Was it really 13 years in development? Anyone been following it since the start?  :P
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:21 pm »

The aesthetics are beautiful! Will look for video reviews when I get home.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:10:16 am »

I've found the dialogue quite good, it seems like a great game but is really quite clunky. The difficulty is great
though, nice and challenging.  The graphics/aesthetics are nice in all but animation (part of the clunkyness).
I'll probably end up playing it through at some point in future.
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:21:40 am »

It is also on Gamersgate.

A really good game, hard and rewarding.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:55:45 pm »

But I already have to spend a ridiculous amount of time playing FTL and Dark Souls.

This was released solely to mock me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 02:54:58 pm »

Just a heads up to anyone interested, GOG.com has Inquisitor on sale for the next day or so.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »

Just a heads up to anyone interested, GOG.com has Inquisitor on sale for the next day or so.

Having exhausted FTL (but not Dark Souls, never Dark Souls), it seems like a great time to pick this up.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:38:13 pm »

Having exhausted FTL (but not Dark Souls, never Dark Souls), it seems like a great time to pick this up.

Indeed!  I'm looking forward to getting it going.  I'm not looking forward to waiting forever to d/l it on my slow connection.  *sigh*

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisitor: Of the RPGs of yore...
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »

Aghhh. The game -is- really hard. I'm really enjoying the inquisitorial aspect of the game, because you can be a total dick inquisitor and scream about heresy, or you can be a nice gentle loving inquisitor. I'm trying to be latter and trying to find the right heretics is more fun than I thought it would.

The combat side of the game is really mean though. Like, bully-who-steals-your-lunch-money kind of mean. :(