Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help me find a game to play with my mom?  (Read 5406 times)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find a game to play with my mom?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:07 am »

Maybe "Salem"?
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem

Never played it myself, but it sounds right for your purpose.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:29 am »

The last I heard from her was that I had given her more to look at than she could probably process during this work week, so I'll have to be patient while she sorts through it. For now I'm happy that you keep the suggestions coming. : )

I'm afraid I've heard nothing positive about Salem. I mean, really, not one word. Which is a shame, because it seemed like a good idea when I heard about it.

I've showed her Minecraft but she doesn't seem overly excited about it. I don't think she wants a total sandbox. I think she wants a bit of structure. And while she enjoys "building" and "making" things, I think she likes them to be pre-set. I don't know that she's creative enough to build something with blocks. Anyway, I've given her the suggestion. We'll see what she says.

When I say she likes "simpler" combat I don't mean just jumping on goombas. I guess the key is she's used to old-fashioned console games, not computer games. She likes to have her hand in one spot and use just a few buttons. She likes platforming and combat that involves timing, rather than strategy like RPGs tend to require. So I think Maplestory's combat would be fine for her. On the other hand, while it turns out I still have my old account with them (made before the IP ban) and therefore am allowed to play the game even from Europe, I keep getting error messages whenever I try to create a character. I've posted in the tech support forums and submitted an official request for account assistance, but so far I've gotten no help whatsoever. So that might be off the table purely for that reason.

I think Puzzle Pirates might work well for us, if she ever gets around to trying it out. It's not the same type of game, but she's better at puzzle games than I am and I think she'd enjoy it with a very easy learning curve.

Haven and Hearth might be too complicated for her, in the same way that Wurm is. Too many details. We'd have to worry about things like the quality of items, crafting requires a lot of time, energy, and grinding, and of course there's always the PVP factor. I'll add it to her list of things to look at but I'm not optimistic that she'd like it if she doesn't like Wurm.

I'm pushing Graal a bit right now because it really has everything we want. The graphics are nice, it plays like Zelda (which she enjoys), combat is simple, crafting is quick and easy, there's plenty to do and regular updates with new content, and we can each have our own house (and give keys to each other) where our stuff will be completely safe from thieves. The only problem is the subscription. Apparently you can't just buy one month - you have to buy 8 months all at once. It's a bit of an investment. For now she's trying it out in "guest" mode but she said she likes it so far. It'll just be a question of whether it will be worth it to her to pay 24 Euro (about $30) for 8 months of playing time.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll be happy to hear anything else you've got!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 03:44:09 pm »

Would Space Station 13 be too difficult for her? It's the most fun multiplayer experience I've ever had.

That is certainly NOT a game that sounds like it would be useful in this situation.

Besides Space Station 13 is less a game game and more Roleplaying with a computer handling the rules.

Yeah its an animu sirius arpy on BS12.
But at its core, its a fucking game. Not a chatroom for people who cant take a robusting.

Still, the unwieldy UI, the really crazy combat, shitloads of gore and weird dark humor, might more be something you do with your cousin or your friend in the other end of the country.
I prefer alone though, otherwise it gets too metagamy when your 12 year old cousin goes "ZOMG JEROGE APRICOTS IS FAGAT GRIFFING TATER!! COEM GRIFF HE!" at you, totally ruining the fun of getting deceived and ending up as a pile of limbs in a freezer somewhere on the station.

I envy you OP. My mom is a fundementalist christian that hates everything about games and any awesome kind of media.
Your mom sounds like the kind i would love to have. I would wish my mom wasent as batshit-fucking-insane as she is.
She knows alot about computers and works with them everyday(a programmer), but she hates them otherwise and she knows jackshit about playing anything that isnt touch-screen word/card games.

If you both have PS3's, why not Littlebigplanet? My friend plays that with his mom and sister. Its hillarious. Especially when your in level editor together and someones rocket goes out of control.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 06:41:02 am »

If we both had consoles, there wouldn't be the problem of finding a computer game. I don't even have a TV.

And sure, it's nice that she is willing to play online games with me now and then, but don't make the mistake of thinking that means she's a cool mom. Video games have always been a truce between us. I don't speak to her outside of that.

Anyway, there's one piece of good news: I got Maplestory working at last. It seems I can only create male characters, and I get an error message when I try to create female ones (as I was before). I have no idea why the hell that is as the error message is simply "we are unable to process your request." I still haven't heard back from tech support. Anyway the only thing gender influences is your avatar's appearance, so it hardly matters. I went on for an hour or so yesterday and remembered how much fun the game can be. Simple, time-wasting aggression-release on cutesy cartoon monsters. My mom won't have any trouble learning the controls since it's so console-like, and it's free to play. Maybe later I can get her into something more complicated, but I think this will suffice for now.

shaihulud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 01:18:45 am »

well it might not be the most creative recommandation but me and my mom used to play MSN games alot using messager, like checkers and bejeweled. It's fun, simple and free, we can play anytime we were avilable(with 12 hrs time zone difference).

Well, just an idea for ya.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:40 pm »

It's not out yet (hopefully some time soon), but when it's finished you might want to look into Starbound.

www.playstarbound.com

It's cutesy, looks like it will have pretty simple controls, has building and crafting, and seems like it will have a quirky sense of humour. I just wish they'd hurry up and finish it.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]