Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: So I usually don't use mods...  (Read 10602 times)

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I usually don't use mods...
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

For minor mods, yes. Things easily installed, that add 100 new trees, just for players who like more trees. The problem with this is, that it does not add any new game mechanisms. 100 more log types are still used for the same 20 types of wooden items you have in Vanilla.

But if you add 100 new items that you can make out of wood, with different uses... then you have more game depths and more tactics. Also nifty things like tech trees (that most other strategy games include already) are missing in DF, since it is a pure simulation. Everything is realistic, even if it means that it is no fun for the gamer. Mods can change that.

Well said, good sir.

Wait, you got a tech tree system in Master Work mod?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »

in masterwork there are several tech trees. regular smelting leads to arc and pattern welded metals.
gem cutting leads to the gem workshop,
and several others.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »

A very inconspicious one, yes. For example adv. metalworking buildings need metal bars to build. That means that you need to have normal metalworking first.. Same for the gemworkshop: It needs big gems, which means that you need a jeweler first.

Other things are special ammo, which need gems only gained by hunting in the caverns... a lot of item/metal upgrades only aviable with magma, special items on gained from killing megabeasts, and special items only gained from breaching hell.

I will try to advance the tech tree idea for the next update, hopefully without making it complicated.

(edit:sniped by my most devoted tester it seems ;))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:33:46 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »

That's nice. But I currently use LFR, and it's got a tech tree too. I'd probably play them separately in the end, but usually I'd like to try combining good mods to see if they work well together or are better off solo. Is Master work compatible with LFR, since they both got tech trees?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2012, 09:58:35 pm »

Major mods are never compatible. Components can be switched, some easily, some more difficult, but running both would be impossible.

Edit: To make it a bit clearer: Everything that changes Vanilla (original) files, instead of just adding new ones, is usually incompatible.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »

BTW, how is LFR like pokemon? .-.
You can make do with 6 types but you can farm 600 types.

Not that I want to start a holy war sort of atmosphere here, but really, isn't adding new plants, materials and such the point of many content mods? Being a simplifying modder, I can see the reason behind your views. But really, I'd say the 'pokemon' idea really sort of extends to other content mods as well.
What, have you considered how the tech tree advancement of LFR work? You can make do with whatever come up first and proceed with it or keep rolling until you get exactly what you like. The traditional new content and such is pretty static. You can well damn sure tell what you'd get at a certain embark.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2012, 03:09:16 am »

I got tired of playing the "No seed, no drink" fortress. Just because everyone was always complaining about something(they really don't like drinking only water xD) and one possessed dorf went crazy because he didn't get plant thread.

So I tried out with another civilization. And another. And yet another. I discovered that all of them lacked alcohol and seeds. Then I generated another world. And everyone lacked seeds. Thats when I came to horrific truth. And I generated another world with one difference. Now the dwarfs had seeds and drinks.

Turns out that dwarfs need caverns to farm and get seeds/drinks.

Which means that either I have to manage with using herbalist to get all seeds so I can farm or I have to generate world with caverns.I guess I could just not dig to caverns.... That or I could get generate worlds with one cavern layer, I think having less cavern layers will reduce number of FB, but I haven't tested that yet. Edit: Turns out it doesn't. What the heck decides how many there are? It seems to be world size alone... I try next to play game without going into caverns.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:32:27 am by MaskedMiner »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:24 am »

Not that I want to start a holy war sort of atmosphere here, but really, isn't adding new plants, materials and such the point of many content mods? Being a simplifying modder, I can see the reason behind your views. But really, I'd say the 'pokemon' idea really sort of extends to other content mods as well.
What, have you considered how the tech tree advancement of LFR work? You can make do with whatever come up first and proceed with it or keep rolling until you get exactly what you like. The traditional new content and such is pretty static. You can well damn sure tell what you'd get at a certain embark.

Hey, no need to continue bashing on LFR here, mate. What's wrong with putting in some challenges before getting the convenient weapon training workshops? Makes it a hell of a lot easier on my conscience here, too. Sure, after awhile it's just routine and you know exactly what you are going to get. But that's the tech tree in all strategy games. Eventually, for example when I play Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, I'm going to know exactly what to do to get what I want from the tech tree and such. I see no problem with LFR's tech tree system here  :-\

Anyway, I think your irritation here is mostly with content mods and how easy they can be to make (like someone mentioned before, add hundreds of wood and and plants and animals for the same 10 uses), and is rather indignant on how you think LFR is just a content mod with a 'shallow' tech tree system that just gives you the content a bit at a time.

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2012, 07:51:05 am »

Hey, no need to continue bashing on LFR here, mate. What's wrong with putting in some challenges before getting the convenient weapon training workshops? Makes it a hell of a lot easier on my conscience here, too. Sure, after awhile it's just routine and you know exactly what you are going to get. But that's the tech tree in all strategy games. Eventually, for example when I play Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, I'm going to know exactly what to do to get what I want from the tech tree and such. I see no problem with LFR's tech tree system here  :-\

Anyway, I think your irritation here is mostly with content mods and how easy they can be to make (like someone mentioned before, add hundreds of wood and and plants and animals for the same 10 uses), and is rather indignant on how you think LFR is just a content mod with a 'shallow' tech tree system that just gives you the content a bit at a time.

Don't think he was bashing. Just stating some facts. But yeah, LFR ain't that bad a mod. And you have some fair points there, Pan. But really, comparing LFR and Intensifying is like comparing two very different things. One is a simplification mod and the other is a fantasy and lore conversion mod with added content. Both appeal to different people and are fun in different ways.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:14 am »

Don't think he was bashing.
I dont think I was bashing either, just explaining how it work. If anything it is a praise because the mod's goal is not to promote a rigid optimal path ala copper -> bronze -> iron -> steel -> cyan.

Anyway, I think your irritation here is mostly with content mods and how easy they can be to make
I think you missed the point. I do state that some content mods are easy to make indeed, and that's why I dont play them. I dont have much spare time so I concentrate on playtest my mod or play mods that I think I can learn the most from playing. I know how to make and wont be able to learn much from a add-lots-of-items mod. However, I have also pointed out that it doesnt mean the mod cannot be fun. But the fun factor cannot be asserted without playing which I cannot afford. I had to clarify that bit because the LFR creator (sorry, his buddism sounding name eluded my mind atm) seems to have thought the same as you are.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:20:54 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:36 am »

Don't think he was bashing.
I dont think I was bashing either, just explaining how it work. If anything it is a praise because the mod's goal is not to promote a rigid optimal path ala copper -> bronze -> iron -> steel -> cyan.

:-\ That praise was rather elusive.

To be honest I did think you were bashing at first, but chose to say otherwise in case you or Pan get the feeling I'm taking sides.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »

But yeah, LFR ain't that bad a mod.

I'm honored, I guess.  Lol.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:20 am »

Ok, I'll get yours' too, and I hope that guide helps me with my problem ^_^

...Your mod download has something that Windows Security Essential complains about. "Backdoor:Win32/Bisar!rts is a name used for backdoor trojan detections that have been added to Microsoft signatures after advanced automated analysis."

containerfile:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfattachtest.exe
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfautodump.exe
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfcleanmap.exe
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfexpbench.exe
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfposition.exe
file:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar->DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4\dfhack-0.5.15-Windows-x86\dfunreveal.exe
webfile:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\LocalCopy\{9C1B063A-A8CE-4A55-967B-47C2797C13EE}-DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar|http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=4831&f=DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar
webfile:D:\DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar|http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=4831&f=DF_31_25-Regen_V4-4.rar

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Thats worrisome .-. You have any idea what that is?

I just had to clean this from my pc...

I don't care what anyone says, my CPU was getting major hiccups, which disappeared right after dealing with this.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]