Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water management  (Read 1789 times)

Nasa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water management
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »

So I'm having problems with water. I'm an elf and I don't start with a waterskin. I can't seem to find one. I've searched around on the Internet and have seen that you can get one from clothing merchants but have not been able to find one.

Is there something better than a waterskin that can hold more water? 3 water does not seem like enough to make longer trips. How do you guys manage your water the best?

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Water management
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »

You can fill your backpack up with water. I think that gives five units if you don't mind the derpy-stupidity of submerging the rest of your gear in the stuff.

Don't forget to drink blood, and stop by rivers and streams whenever possible and drink directly from them rather than waste your waterskin. Though I agree a skin should have about 9 uses rather than 3.

Actually, related to this, my problem with water is when you're in the cold and it freezes uselessly. Though at least a campfire can warm it up again, that only works on waterskins and can be a pain.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »

I never use a waterskin. Sim in rivers and drink the water that covers your eyelids. And drink the fresh blood of your enemies in your axe.

If you are in real trouble, jump in a cliff and drink your own blood.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »

Quivers are another option.  Did you know that 'I' will let you fill a bag with snow or water form your local river/ground?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »

1. Grab 2 bags of berries from a human house
2. Empty one of the bags
3. Fill the empty bag with water (holds 50 water)
4. Don't worry about water or food for a while

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »

You can also kill something (or just wound it), walk over its spilled blood (if there's enough), and [g]et their blood, repeatedly. It's like holding water, but it's not named water so you can probably have 5 units of it as well as water. Also, yeah, slaying things and drinking their blood is usually good.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:19:01 pm »

You can also kill something (or just wound it), walk over its spilled blood (if there's enough), and [g]et their blood, repeatedly. It's like holding water, but it's not named water so you can probably have 5 units of it as well as water. Also, yeah, slaying things and drinking their blood is usually good.
This is what I tend to do, although, try not to wound their lower body as if they puke, the blood will be undrinkable if it's laced with vomit.
Unf.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:36 pm »

Once you find a waterskin or something, press "I" near a river to fill it with water.
When you need to drink, press "d" to drop the water onto the floor.
Press "e" and choose "Drink water (Here)"
When you're done, press "I" and fill your waterskin with water

Fredrikus Fatvessel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:06:04 am »

1. Grab 2 bags of berries from a human house
2. Empty one of the bags
3. Fill the empty bag with water (holds 50 water)
4. Don't worry about water or food for a while
Yeah this is what i usually do, i always keep at least two bags filled with water on me at all times after i lost one of my first adventures due to dehydration. Of course, you could always also become an vampire and never have to worry about food or water again. But of course, then you will always have to worry about finding a living creature to feed on which is harder than it sounds.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:10 am »

Once you find a waterskin or something, press "I" near a river to fill it with water.

You shouldn't need to drop the waterskin to drink from it or fill it. Hell, you can Wear it like an item of clothing so it's not taking up space in a backpack or being held in your hand.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

You shouldn't need to drop the waterskin to drink from it or fill it. Hell, you can Wear it like an item of clothing so it's not taking up space in a backpack or being held in your hand.

Right, there is no need to drop the water.
Also if you put water or any other liquid in backpack and then drop it you will empty the entire backpack which can be pretty annoying sometimes.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

If you dont like eating or drinking you can make a caste in the standard_creature raw file and add [no_drink] and [no_eat] in it and then add [pop_rate:0] on it so that there wont be any of the caste created, you are only able to choose it in adventure mode. Sleep actually adds some difficulty but having to eat and drink is really just a hassle when you know how to deal with it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »

I aded to my new mod (I hope make free publicity is allowed) a big waterskin, that fits 5 water units. The downside is that it can't be weared. This is my mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120162.0.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:02 pm »

The reason he said that is that you can fill containers infinitely from any pool on the ground. So if you have 10 water, and drop it on the ground, and drink it (9), then you can refill your waterskin with 10. It's a bit cheap, but it works.