Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No More Room In Hell  (Read 1528 times)

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No More Room In Hell
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:12:05 am »

Free Source SDK game, winner of ModDB & PC Gamer's GOTY awards, and survivor of development hell:

No More Room In Hell
"When there's no more room in hell,
the dead will walk the Earth."

Media:
-Old release trailer. Map is nmo_chinatown.
-1.05 release trailer. Map is nms_northway.
-Snazzy screencaps and more footage.
The trailers lie BTW. Ammo is really scarce. Anyone that shoots as much as they do in the trailer is a newbie.

Wiki

Background:
A mysterious infection has zombified most of the population. The only thing between you and reanimation is a few dozen bullets and something to smash skulls with. The disease is currently highly contagious and fast acting when contracted from bites or scratches, and worse yet the best of medicine can only stave off death for a few minutes. The undead are slow, but resilient to anything short of pulping their brains, and the recently deceased are considerably faster. Up to 8 survivors must fight their way to survival through the undead on objective maps, or hold out against waves of undead with supply drops from the national guard on survival maps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

You don't need a source game, it runs on the free 2007 source SDK and has all it's own resources. You just need Steam.

I searched and am surprised there's no mention of this game. It's the anti-thesis of Killing Floor, especially with learning actual skill required as opposed to grinding to get buffs. High polish, active development, excellent skill and team based gameplay. If I were to describe it: World War Z when SHTF as a survivor. Slow, tough zombies that you have to consider your resource/kill ratio on and actually require strategy, skill, and cooperation to deal with.

Why am I posting about it now? I am really happy with the newest update. As someone who has followed this game for a long time, the majority of my gameplay gripes have been addressed. They are greenlit and waiting for 1.07 before officially releasing through greenlight, but most of the new gameplay features are in 1.06 already.

---

Brand new players:

---

Gameplay tips from a vet:

Change your keybinds: Shove is 'v' by default. This is too slow. Put it on the scrollwheel click OR rightclick with ironsights on middleclick. Makesure weaponswitch isn't bound to scrollwheel.

This game is actually REALLY easy and yet most newbies find it impossibly difficult. If you want a challenge, learn all the following the hard way.

Fun facts:

---

Right, so go join a server and get eaten! Losing is fun when you're eaten alive.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:16:03 am by Zyxl »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No More Room In Hell
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:30 am »

Ah, I used to play that game, quite fun (but more objective mission, survival is a bit bland). And I used to know the code too.
It's quite fun, but after a few games, it gets quite repetitive.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:03:28 am »

Did a search for it on steam but couldn't find it. Is it still available?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:29 am »

Did a search for it on steam but couldn't find it. Is it still available?
Installation
Or use Desura on ModDB

It will be officially listed in the Steam store when the upcoming 1.07 update is out. It's already greenlit, they're just polishing it more before it's 'officially' officially released.

Ah, I used to play that game, quite fun (but more objective mission, survival is a bit bland). And I used to know the code too.
It's quite fun, but after a few games, it gets quite repetitive.
Did you play 1.04 or earlier? Lots of new stuff like re-animating zombies, melee fatigue, they re-worked the melee hit detection, unfinished maps are finished etc. and then nice things like new voice commands and improvements to the drop system.

Once I could reliably beat a map (assuming competent teammates) it started to get boring, but until then it's worth trying if you haven't yet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:15:58 am by Zyxl »