Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More forms of combat!  (Read 670 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
More forms of combat!
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »

I think there should be ways in place to handle combat from inside minecarts, swinging from trapezes, or freefalling from many Z-levels above ground (which would mean falling speed should be slowed down a bit). So pretty much, badass action sequences in general.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More forms of combat!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:43:17 am »

I don't think this needs to be implemented any time soon.  It might be neat, but I'd much rather see other things first.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:11 am »

Realistically, just seven seconds would be long enough to fall from z-level 0 to z-level -100. There would be absolutely no hope of surviving a fall like that, even into water. The most a human could survive would be about 100 feet, which would be over in less than two and a half seconds. Combat while falling is almost definitely out, at least, unless Toady One decides to make worlds have custom gravity. I don't see that happening anytime soon at all.

You can actually already fight someone from inside a minecart. As to trapezes, they aren't even in the game at the moment.

Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:46 am »

what if you're [strk]gandalf[/strk] one of the most powerful heroes of your land, gaining the secrets of combat from a slab from a god of war and you're taking on [strk]a balrog[/strk] a powerful demon who built a spire 100s of z-levels above the ground and is challenging you to a fight on its roof?

also I personally think of 1 z level as about two stories, so yeah.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:18 am »

I greatly respect Tolkien, but Gandalf's fall into the abyss was a perfect example of DidNotDoTheResearch. Gandalf shouldn't have survived, unless he cast some sort of slow-fall spell, which I think he would've mentioned. That said, Toady One defines one z level as 3 meters high, making it approximately one story, not two.

I do like the idea of fighting in midair. I just don't think it makes sense.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:24 am »

well obv. gandalf had a slow fall spell.
whose to say MR LEGENDARY HERO doesn't have one either?
or just the ability to magically nullify fall damage even if the impact is way harder than a blow from a demon that the spell does not nullify.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:59 am »

Mr. Legendary Hero wouldn't have a slow-fall spell, because the only magic that currently exists ingame is necromancer magic, and from what I understand, Toady is leaning away from generic spells and favoring something more dynamic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »

Some sort of slow-fall spell will probably be possible, though.
I can see a pair of combatants exchanging blows over 3-5 seconds if they fell near enough to each other. In time, I mean. Certainly, someone at the bottom should be able to shoot a person falling at them if they have a crossbow or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:53:28 pm »

If you bring fliers into the equation it could be relevant.  For example, guy at the top of an air battle gets shot down without being killed, then stabs someone at the bottom of the air battle while falling.  Then goes splat.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

Ahh... Gandalf also fought the thing underwater... and then sort of... died and came back from the dead.  There was more going on there than just the fact that he survived a long fall.

Like how the eagle said he weighed almost nothing afterward, and it somehow made him more powerful.  Things got rather... Jesusy there...

The idea of being able to attack things in mid-air seems like a cool idea.  Can fliers fight in mid-air?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »

Gandalf was one of the mightiest of Manwe's maiar = divine origin

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »

Hmm.  I only read the hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy (I don't care what the foreword says, it's a trilogy, and has never ever been published as 6 books).

Do they go into his origins in the other books, by his son?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »

Tolkien himself considered Silmarillion his most important work. It's the history of Middle Earth.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »

I tried to read it once, and got bored fast.  But that was a long time ago.  Maybe I'll give it a try again.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »

I've already read it seven times. It's a tiring read but still very beautiful.