Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: If we got FTL you would...  (Read 11724 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: If we got FTL you would...
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 10:29:29 am »

I don't know who made this case, but in a simmilar discussion to this one, a guy made an interesting point: FTL's most interesting use would be in making supercomputers..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

I find the concept of a better computer less tantalizing than going to a different stellar system.
This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:47 am »

The first time we have defictionilasation, at least in looks, is going to be.... interesting.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:31 am »

A: Do I get the better computer?
B: Do I get to go to a different stellar system?

If A^B then A||B else A&&B.

(Yes, some pseudocodivity introduced for brevity.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:11 am »

I don't know who made this case, but in a simmilar discussion to this one, a guy made an interesting point: FTL's most interesting use would be in making supercomputers..
If we have FTL communication as well we could turn the whole Milky Way into one giant supercomputer, and use it to simulate another universe and fuck with its in...habi....tants.....

.....Those clever bastards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »

If you interpret that as a mathematical statement, it's equivalent to A || B. Don't tell that to any scientists, they'll deny you a computer just to see what happens.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Download stuff faster, I guess. Light speed communications is still too slow.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »

I thought we did notice and we were just figuring out what is encompassed in this "very few"

Ok, maybe you did.  I'm pretty sure Mr Wiggles didn't.  Doesn't matter much.  It just irks me slightly to be called out on things that I already acknowledged, but it's usually a simple mistake.
The last time I read up on the congestive studies, Orca's, Bottle Nose Dolphins and the other I listed were appearing to be quite smart. Indian Elephants can pass the mirror test, and have an imagination. Bottle Nose Dolphins have culture and tool use, and very complex society and language. Its really hard to say, if they are sapient, since that a quagmire to quantify into any sorta test.

Troops of Chimpanzee battle other troops of Chimpanzee for resources, territory and if I recall, even things like revenge, and or simply expansion.

I'd bet if the ocean wasn't an environment of over abundance in terms of space, and resources, there would totally be wars between the orca and dolphins. They just dont have anything to really fight over.

And that would also apply to interstellar space. Once you can jump into star systems, virtually all mineral wealth becomes overly abundance. The only thing that would be in anything close to scarcity would be planets that you happen to find habitual without extraneous support.   But what humans find habitual, and what fungas being find habitual, could just be so different that there no conflict, they might even be able to chill in the same solar system, with one inhabiting venus and us earth.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:55:02 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:14 am »

If you interpret that as a mathematical statement, it's equivalent to A || B. Don't tell that to any scientists, they'll deny you a computer just to see what happens.

But it isn't a mathematical statement.  If I just did A||B then I'd only get A even if B was also true, because of the short-cutting.  And A&&B would not give me B if A already turned out false.

(Strictly, however, I need to somehow overload A and B to be functions that merely test in a test-only situation but operate in an executable situation.)

The true equivalent would be "A; B".  But there's no poetry to that.

Need something palindromic, I suspect...

(A&&B) || (B&&A)

Or how about one that's exactly palindromical for each lowest level of test unit..?

(A&&B) || (A^=B; B^=A; A^=B) && (A&&B)

(If I've got the precedences right.  Need to give it a go, some time.)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]