Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miserable Dwarves  (Read 1096 times)

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
Miserable Dwarves
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:26 am »

I have 2 miserable dwarves in my fort, one being a silly carpenter who couldn't get silk cloth to satisfy the ghost inside him, and the other a worthless ranger after witnessing a lot of people die. My fort just lost around 20 dwarves the past year via goblin siege, and just started recovering from the sadness, I feel as if these two people dying will cement the deal.
I've read on the wiki, and they have both been "stricken by melancholy" which means they will try and kill themselves by drowning/magma/starvation but they just keep wandering around the fort when they can run outside and jump in the river, or even jump off the cliffs surrounding. It's been a good month, and they are just starting to get hungry. Anyway I can have these dwarves kill themselves NOT in the fortress? I'd rather them jump into the moat and have their bodies be long gone to stop any more bad thoughts.
Do dwarves being "missing" still generate unhappy thoughts for family and friends?
Otherwise I'll just let them starve and make a couple more coffins, on top of the 25 I already had.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miserable Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:05 am »

I have 2 miserable dwarves in my fort, one being a silly carpenter who couldn't get silk cloth to satisfy the ghost inside him, and the other a worthless ranger after witnessing a lot of people die. My fort just lost around 20 dwarves the past year via goblin siege, and just started recovering from the sadness, I feel as if these two people dying will cement the deal.
I've read on the wiki, and they have both been "stricken by melancholy" which means they will try and kill themselves by drowning/magma/starvation but they just keep wandering around the fort when they can run outside and jump in the river, or even jump off the cliffs surrounding. It's been a good month, and they are just starting to get hungry. Anyway I can have these dwarves kill themselves NOT in the fortress? I'd rather them jump into the moat and have their bodies be long gone to stop any more bad thoughts.
Do dwarves being "missing" still generate unhappy thoughts for family and friends?
Otherwise I'll just let them starve and make a couple more coffins, on top of the 25 I already had.

You'll need to take the initiative if you want to off them discretely.  That said, it won't be easy, because there's no way to control where they go or what they do.  Most of the normal techniques of quietly getting rid of a dwarf presuppose you can tell them to go an area underneath a certain drawbridge, or to pull a certain lever.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:48 am »

Have them shoot each other simultaneously with ballistae off in a secluded area of the fort where no one can see.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:16:55 am »

Melancholy and stark raving mad dwarves will still spend time in their bedrooms so you can lock the door when they enter it and deal with their corpse at a later time when your dwarves can handle a little bad thought. Personally I put a bed in a magma flooding chamber and assign it to insane dwarves so they will just be "Missing" forever.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:47 am »

Set trap, make miscelaneaous room with no point to it. When they walk in, lock and forget.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:23 am »

Make them a little fire imp chamber so they will be "Missing" and not DEAD so your dwarves will be like:
"Where is Urist McCheesemaker?"
"Probably doing something productive!"
"I'm worried!"
"Don't worry!He'll be back soon!"