Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increase the Minimum Volcano in World-Gen  (Read 602 times)

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increase the Minimum Volcano in World-Gen
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:47:52 pm »

At the moment the cap is 200, could this be changed to 500 or 1,000 please?

Thanks,
:D Snake_Eyes

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Increase the Minimum Volcano in World-Gen
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »

EDIT: I see what you mean.

Why? O_o

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:47:55 am »

EDIT: I see what you mean.

Why? O_o

I just thought it to be simple to implement..

The reason is I generate large worlds, if it were only small worlds I was making 200 is fine. All the other parameters have large numbers attached. i.e. 100,000 megabeasts, so 500 volcano vents would not be that much, as sometimes they cluster.

YMMV;
:) Snake_Eyes

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:14 am »

Some values can exceed the in-built cap if you hand-edit them into the worldgen file. just don't re-edit them inside the game.

A case in point is embark points. I've set 1 billion embark points once for a test game i was running.

how about try that and let us know it works with volcanos?

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:20 am »

I do not know how to load the wordgen from anything but a seed, I can get the values in Legends but how do I load them into DF?

Cheers,

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:17:31 am »

it's in the data files, all the worldgen parameters are listed as plain text.

make a custom worldgen parameter set, give it a name, (SAVE IT), exit the game and open worldgen.txt i think from the data directory. you can just use notepad to search for "volcano" until you find the entry and manually change it to anything.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:19:17 am by Reelya »

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:30:10 am »

Yes, but then how do I load it into Advanced World Generation sorry?

Ta,

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:36:24 am »

wut? edit the file, then go back into the game, use the worldgen param-set you edited in notepad.

You can still tweak that param-set inside the game as long as you don't try and edit the specific value you put "out of bounds" - which is the moment the cap is checked.

This might make the game crash if you force certain values to be things they're not supposed to be, obviously.

here it is again - copy one of the existing advanced parameters, rename the copy something you will remember, and save it. Then exit the game, and use notepad to find the one you made, change values inside that set, then go back into worldgen and pick that set you made.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:04:08 am by Reelya »

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:43:02 am »

For the third time, I can edit the file no problem how do I LOAD the file then?

Thanks,

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:56 am »

Hello!

You are to edit data set in the file world_gen.txt in the data/init directory without the game running. When the game is started, it automatically loads the world_gen.txt file and uses it for the parameters for the various advanced world gens. So, you simply have to choose the modified data set in the advanced world gen menu.

Yours,
Deathworks

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:04:30 am »

Quote from: me
here it is again - copy one of the existing advanced parameters, rename the copy something you will remember, and save it. Then exit the game, and use notepad to find the one you made, change values inside that set, then go back into worldgen and pick that set you made.

I'm pretty sure I made it clear.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 05:35:33 am »

For the third time, I can edit the file no problem how do I LOAD the file then?

Thanks,

The file is loaded when you start the game. There is no need to load it yourself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:08:49 am »

I'd imagine that absurd numbers of volcanoes would have irritating effects on world rejects. Just like less absurd numbers do in smaller worlds.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »

You are aware, I hope, that "minimum number of volcanoes" does not cause the generator to generate more volcanoes, only to reject the worlds that generate fewer? The number of volcanoes generated is based on the minimum volcanism setting and the volcanism weighted mesh. If you want to be sure of generating at least a thousand volcanoes: increase the minimum volcanism level and/or turn on the weighted mesh (set it to any size instead of "ignore") and increase mesh 80-100 weight value. Really, try it. You don't need the setting "minimum number of volcanoes" at all -- it isn't what gets you more volcanoes, just what rejects worlds that have too few.

Now, actually, there is one use for the "minimum number of volcanoes" setting: keeping it at low but non-zero values for worlds with roughly default volcanism, in order to ensure your world gets some volcanoes without upping the volcanism to the point that they are common or clustered. This is clearly much less than you want, since you're talking about several hundred volcanoes in the first palce; what you want is to use the settings that actually cause volcanoes to be more common.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.