Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf Caravan Guards  (Read 2246 times)

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf Caravan Guards
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »

Hello, I was wondering if there was any reason why elven traders do not come with guards.  It is annoying how if there is an ambush they are basically lost, while the dwarves and humans can fend the ambushers off long enough to survive or escape.  Do elves just have super sneaky caravan routes that enable them to get to your fortress without being troubled, or are they just naive, or have elf guards yet to be implemented?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Caravan Guards
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

They're just being elves. Clearly they don't expect to encounter anything but animals on their travels. You can give them caravan guards by altering the entity file appropriately, so their non-appearance in the vanilla game is deliberate.

If you have wagon access to the depot, elves will spawn from one of the tiles with wagon access. You can use selective access to reduce the chance of ambush, for all trade caravans.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:00 pm »

Oh cool, I see.  I will have to try and set up wagon access, because I always get a "bypass" message when traders arrive.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

Ah, I hadn't realized there was a bug that made traps block depot access; I guess I'll have to replan my security or something to compensate.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:59 pm »

My personal belief is, elves just don't give a shit about merchants.
If the massive numbers and terrible equipment of their armies are any indication, elven civs often reach a state of overcrowding and have to get rid of excess population every once in a while by sending thousands of unarmored elves with sharp sticks to be slaughtered by steel-clad dwarves. That sort of negligence has probably influenced other sides of elven society, including trading.
Therefore, from an elven point of view, their merchants are naught but cannon fodder loaded with heaps of useless junk such as cloth and elephants, expected to bring back something that's not made of wood or die trying.

Of course, that's only my theory. It sure makes atom-smashing all those cute merchant girls easier, though.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:38:23 pm »

My personal belief is, elves just don't give a shit about merchants.
If the massive numbers and terrible equipment of their armies are any indication, elven civs often reach a state of overcrowding and have to get rid of excess population every once in a while by sending thousands of unarmored elves with sharp sticks to be slaughtered by steel-clad dwarves. That sort of negligence has probably influenced other sides of elven society, including trading.
Therefore, from an elven point of view, their merchants are naught but cannon fodder loaded with heaps of useless junk such as cloth and elephants, expected to bring back something that's not made of wood or die trying.

Of course, that's only my theory. It sure makes atom-smashing all those cute merchant girls easier, though.

That's as sound a theory as I've ever heard.  :D
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »

You sound as if losing a bunch of Elves is a bad thing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »

Ah, I hadn't realized there was a bug that made traps block depot access; I guess I'll have to replan my security or something to compensate.
Pretty sure it's not a bug, but an attempt to prevent players from making an entryway that will give traders safe passage but splatter invaders.

There are still ways of achieving the same effect (short trapped invader path + long winding wagon path, barracks by or in the entryway), but not like that any more.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:05 pm »

Well I want to get more giant cats for breeding purposes, and they seem to be the only ones who carry them.

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:37:48 pm »

Pretty sure it's not a bug, but an attempt to prevent players from making an entryway that will give traders safe passage but splatter invaders.

There are still ways of achieving the same effect (short trapped invader path + long winding wagon path, barracks by or in the entryway), but not like that any more.

I see, thanks for the tips!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:07 pm »

Well I want to get more giant cats for breeding purposes, and they seem to be the only ones who carry them.
You can still pick the goods out of the charred remains of the caravan after its dead, its not like the items are gone forever, and its rather difficult to get Elves to war with you, even while trying, trust me. I have had many elaborate traps to kill them each time, but no dice.

Also, I see your new and,  no offense or anything, but there is an edit feature, no need to double post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:08:54 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

-Derp post-

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 06:09:28 pm »

Ironically, I got a gateway error when I posted that and wasn't sure it had gone through. I didn't dare F5 it though.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.