Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a story/book/comic to read.  (Read 654 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Looking for a story/book/comic to read.
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:28:30 am »

Preferably a very dark, depressing one. I'm not sure why, but I have this sudden urge to read a depressing story, be it novels, comics, manga, or whatever. A google search brought up only depression help sites and this one story about a missing hat, so I was hoping the B12 community (which is known for its madness and death) could suggest some good ones.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a story/book/comic to read.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:18 am »

I'm not normally one for manga, but Google "Oyasumi Punpun" and prepare yourself for quite possibly one the single most depressing things I have ever read in my entire life.

Also stars a penguin! Ha ha, poor guy.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:28:40 am »

If you're looking for something really depressing, Maus is the most depressing thing I've ever read. It's a comic book about the true story of a holocaust survivor.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:37:11 am »

Welcome to the NHK as far as manga goes. It's rather, well insane at times, and depressing at others. The main charachter gets a few breaks only for shit to fall apart quickly afterwards.

Roadside Picnic (also available online for free) is somewhat dark, it's a pretty good read regardless and it isn't too long.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

Have some good old fashion Watchmen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:22 pm »

Heavy Rain has a depressing story to it..It is a video game but..you can watch it on youtube or read the story on a wiki or something like that

Also PRESS X TO JASON.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:11 pm »