Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making coins useful in trade  (Read 2721 times)

Liamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making coins useful in trade
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »

I would love to see currency playing a more important role in DF.
Coins are light, easy to transport and you can trade it for everything with everyone.
Not everybody will want to buy your dwarven-made stone rings, but everybody will desire this coins you have - from a merchants perspective traded goods should have  a penalty compared to coins.

Currency system could either be more complex, every population entity having their own mints and own coins that have their own values, or be plain and simple one universal currency.
The first option sounds more DF like. It would be cool if the player could mint his own coins, which would have their value dependant on how succesfull his fortress is, making it so that initially the only real way of getting coins is throught selling stuff to merchants for them.

Why coins have a penalty now? I'd wager because the 'AI' isn't programmed to use it themselves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:31 pm »

Why would goods be undervalued, period? Stone rings are equally acceptable everywhere, barring extremes of supply or demand, but coins are only worth anything in certain areas.
Coins are undervalued due to lack of quality.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

For coins to be really useful, you'd need caravans to say something like "there's no demand for these crafts, I won't be able to make a profit" or "this fish will be rotten by the time I reach the city".  Right now gems are a better currency than coins, because they're lighter for their worth and coins are (rightly) not accepted everywhere.  The main advantage of currency over bartered goods is its value is more stable; if you barter, the goods you trade for might be worth much less to the next person you attempt to trade with.  For example, someone who's only concerned with necessities wouldn't want a gem, a spearman wouldn't trade for a mace, but they'd all know they could trade coins in the future.  Right now that sort of differing demand isn't simulated, so coins aren't useful.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 [2]