Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen and Legends Mode  (Read 1018 times)

FragMonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Worldgen and Legends Mode
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:26:57 am »

So browsing through legends mode, I like to look up the histories of all the people I kill while in adventure mode.

Well a lot of these people have various events in their lives, such as "became farmer" and then "stopped being farmer" and further "began hunting in The Woods of Despair."

My question is, do these things continue to happen as I play adventure and advance the world? Or is everything that is going to happen already happened during the worldgen, and the world I'm interacting with is completely static? I'm thinking it may be the latter, as I don't think I've ever seen random people about unless they're in some settlement. Do people move around? Will Urist Peasantface slay a forgotten beast in a forest, as I play?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen and Legends Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:12:11 am »

The world is currently static, but that's changing.  The next release is the one where Toady first activates the world.  I'm not sure how dramatic the changes are going to be at first, but it will include goblins and bandits causing trouble of their own accord as well as people replacing those that die (so, for example, if the king dies his son should succeed him).  I think people will marry and give birth as well.  The are a lot of other changes as well; non-human races will finally have sites you can actually visit, people can harass you in towns, non-lethal combat is possible, stealth is improved, and some other stuff.  Most of those improvements are things Toady needed to activate the world; for example the new sites should let you follow marauding goblins wherever they go, including back to their dark forts to mess them up by killing their leaders and freeing snatched children.

So, yeah, exciting times.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Steven The Nemo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:24:37 am »

Could there perhaps be some article/thread/something-a-rather that explains these changes, apart from the multiple annoucements?

FragMonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:18 am »

Could there perhaps be some article/thread/something-a-rather that explains these changes, apart from the multiple annoucements?

I would like to know this

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

I would like to know this
Nobody has compiled such a thing as far as I'm aware (could be wrong), but your best bet is to listen to the podcasts from Toady to get an idea of whats coming. That said, you'll need to set aside an hour or two for those, they're pretty long!
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Steven The Nemo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:45:03 am »

Ah, well. Thanks anyway.