Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surveillance Camera Man  (Read 1306 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Surveillance Camera Man
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:27:24 am »

This video is a very interesting piece on how we view being recorded in public.

All this man is doing is going round and recording individuals around Seattle. The reactions of people are typical of what you'd expect. Then you remember that we're being recorded nearly every minute of everyday outside in cities. What makes this persons holding a camera and recording people doing private things in public any different from CCTV cameras?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Surveillance Camera Man
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:44:00 am »

Hmmm, how would one act like Google?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:05:58 am »

Hmmm, how would one act like Google?
Camera head, watching in 360 degrees.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that what he's doing might actually be illegal.
Second: CCTV cameras are supposed to be mainly automated, and only checked if there are crimes or possible evidence of them. ((Quite a few cameras are actually automated, checking for traces of aggression using certain algorithms and such.)) Not posted on youtube for example.
Third: CCTV cameras don't walk around, and you look silly when you start talking to them.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

I think the problem is how personal it is. This video is about one man watching you; he is recording you, so he can watch it again or others can; and you have no idea why he is. This isn't normal, so he probably doesn't have a nice reason for doing so.
Surveillance cameras watch everyone. If they are monitored, it's by appointed security staff or others who have been given the permission. They are said to be there for the purpose of keeping you safe (directly or indirectly, watching for crimes).
It's perfectly reasonable for the professors to be angry. People are supposed to pay for that time of hearing them speak.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:35 pm »

Also, security cameras do not follow you around, come onto private property without the permission of the owners, talk to you, explicitly track you (usually, and the ones that do tend to creep people out), or otherwise make themselves notable.

Imagine, if you will, that he stood in a single position and simply videoed a street for the entire day - essentially equivalent to a security camera. I can't imagine many people would have a real issue about that, but it would be a much more appropriate analogy, in my opinion.

Imagine this dude had no camera, and was instead just a dude who stared. He'd still be getting these sort of reactions, I imagine, because he's obviously paying specific attention to YOU for reasons you don't understand.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:47:47 pm »

Its like..its like..I'M BEING STALKED BY A FIERCE PREDATOR
But seriously,people are just camera shy and don't want their groin on the internet obviously.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:03:59 pm »

There's something funny about this necro taking place 28 days later.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »

I think surveillance camera man would make a great superhero.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »

I think surveillance camera man would make a great superhero.
Next time on surveillance camera man!

Super Big Brother and Surveillance Camera Man watch the neighbourhoods, scouring your private life for evidence of CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES!

Stay tuned in folks for an exciting new issue filled with adventure and excitement, OR WE WILL FIND YOU.