Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All about animals: Fighting them, eating them, training them to kill  (Read 1157 times)

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And of course making their bones into crossbows.  A pamphlet of my thoughts on menageries!  A good meat/animal taming industry can create huge amounts of wealth very quickly, and frankly I just find them to be a lot of fun.  I like letting my dwarves adopt animals and to have a good zoo/colosseum.

GETTING LOTS OF DIFFERENT ANIMALS: I've been worldgenning with parameters to increase the patchworkness of the world.  If you increase the X/Y variance of things like rainfall, and also change the mesh sizes to emphasize the top and the bottom end of ranges, you usually end up with lots of different biomes in small spaces.  Then you pick your 4x4 embark so that it's at the four corners of several different biomes.

AREA ATTRIBUTES: If you want a cool zoo, you should definitely go to the tropics.  That's not to poopoo those of you that want to make an ice palace with a polar bear exhibit, but generally the tropics have a wealth of different animal species.  Savagery must be high.  Animal men suck, flying animal men really suck, they're harder to kill and you gotta wait for them to leave the map, but you really gotta love giant animals though, they can provide a ton of wealth very quickly if you bring one down, roast the whole thing, and sell it to the caravan.  Evil biomes are just out, or you could do it as a challenge but butchering+evil just doesn't go well.  I keep trying to make an ocean farming system, like the one done by the guy with the sea serpents, because... giant whale roasts, baby.  One day I will make a fort out of giant whale soap.

EMBARKING FOR EARLY ANIMAL SLAUGHTER: I guess the best way to hunt is to use a hunter but I personally favor military dwarves.  I usually embark with a guy who likes copper, so I give him proficient weaponsmithing/armorsmithing.  Preferences are insanely important in this game and you can have good armor sets and weapon right off the bat at a cost of some wood and a couple of ore.  Putting aside two dwarves for military duty is a sizable blow to your labor pool but it's worth it.  2 female dogs and 1 male dog gives you some early supplemental hunters and a puppy mill.  I like to take a proficient chef.

EMBARKING FOR A ZOO: Proficient mechanic, proficient glassmaker, and about 150 bags of sand.  I like to find McLikesgreenglass and give him the cagemaking job.  Go ahead, be a dork, spam cage traps.  It's the best way to make a zoo so embrace it.  The best way to capture mass animals is a giant cage trap perimeter.  Build chokepoints for better efficiency or go full dwarf and make 600 traps.  Regardless of whether you're embarking to sand, just take the bagged sand at embark since it's a 1 point bag.  Magma makes things easier or just use coal.  Maybe take an animal trainer.

One thing I'd like to know is, if I want to generate +animal man bone bolts+ and +goblin bone bolts+, should I build a sentients slaughter room and just let the parts decay?  If I build a droptower I won't be able to get the flying animal men to die.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All about animals: Fighting them, eating them, training them to kill
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:54 pm »

hmmm... ok, got an idea for the flyers. you'll need some marksdwarfs for it, and of course fortifications, but in theory if you release them, a crossbow bolt to the face *usually* won't kill them in a single shot. you may be able to get them unconscious at least semi-reliably before they die, at which point they should plummet to their death, hopefully from the fall rather than from the bolts.

it probably won't be 100%, but i imagine it's better to start from, say, 60% effectiveness and then let the other 40% of them rot. and heck, probably someone will refine this idea at some point.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

EMBARKING FOR EARLY ANIMAL SLAUGHTER:
Turkeys. 16 food, 40 bolts / 8 crossbows, and 1 leather shield for the low low price of 6 points and some dwarf labour. I favour the one male / two female approach to bringing dogs, but it'll be autumn before you see any puppies at all.

I also tend to prefer item preferences or overall suitability (according to DT's Roles tab) over material preferences, as they're good for the smith's whole career. Overall suitability is a powerful thing -- I currently have a dwarf who DT noted as being 99.5% suitable as a Metalcrafter, and despite having no experience and no relevant material or item preferences she was cranking out quality levels I'd expect from a Talented or maybe Adept dwarf. For one of those jobs her skill was Novice and Rusty, and still she made a =goblet=.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:33 pm »

One thing I'd like to know is, if I want to generate +animal man bone bolts+ and +goblin bone bolts+, should I build a sentients slaughter room and just let the parts decay?  If I build a droptower I won't be able to get the flying animal men to die.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dropping the creature is not the only way to generate severed body parts:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120502.0

Also, cave crocodiles lay a huge number of eggs, which should allow for a very productive industry.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:07:20 pm »

I also tend to prefer item preferences or overall suitability (according to DT's Roles tab) over material preferences, as they're good for the smith's whole career. Overall suitability is a powerful thing -- I currently have a dwarf who DT noted as being 99.5% suitable as a Metalcrafter, and despite having no experience and no relevant material or item preferences she was cranking out quality levels I'd expect from a Talented or maybe Adept dwarf. For one of those jobs her skill was Novice and Rusty, and still she made a =goblet=.

What is this mysterious Roles tab? Is it a new feature? I only have the Dwarf Therapist that came with my LNP.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:27:06 am »

What is this mysterious Roles tab? Is it a new feature? I only have the Dwarf Therapist that came with my LNP.

It is a feature of the splinterz branch version.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7184
Find the Dwarf Therapist folder and replace.