Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do Good Dating Sims exist? Well ok MY definition of good dating sim.  (Read 9575 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Do Good Dating Sims exist? Well ok MY definition of good dating sim.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »

Ahh... HuniePop.

One of the few games on Steam with explicitly displayed breasts.

And this was prior to the great Visual Novel craze/flood of Mid-2015, which kinda forced them to alter their stance on nudity.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Good Dating Sims exist? Well ok MY definition of good dating sim.
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 12:13:52 pm »

I don't really get the 'try real life' comments. Dating is fun. Yet most of the fun is in the chase. It's like those survival games... it's fun when your hungry and crafting and throwing javelins at deer. Not so fun when you have an endless supply of food.

Dating is like that. Fun before you get the girl/guy. Not so fun after that. And it's generally immoral to do it again after 'winning' IRL.

I think the genre has been really poor. People very often copy 90% of the gameplay of a genre. In these case "dating sim" is usually a passive VN or some RPG with basic stats. Both suck and do a very poor job of simulating real dating.

If someone want to do a dating sim, the mechanics need to be rebuilt to have things like..
- Risk and reward. You will constantly 'lose ground' without taking risks. But take too many risks and you may lose everything.
- Competitors. When were you the only fish in the sea? Also what if your girl/guy loses her virginity to someone else first?
- Randomness. Procedurally generated?
- Weaknesses and Achilles heels. You'll have to find them. Maybe a gather info or stalker check. Maybe ask friends. Much of the game will be figuring out how to gather this info.
- A kind of anti-stalker check where it gets creepy if your character does it wrong.
- Indirect attacks. Wingmen. Going past defenses. Especially with tsundere characters.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]