Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a whole mess of ideas  (Read 993 times)

Dwarfitron3000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
a whole mess of ideas
« on: November 18, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »

This is just a list of some ideas that have been running around my head. I have no idea how to implement any of these so I come to you fellow dwarfs.

Paper
Process trees or plants to make paper. The history and legends of the fort are only kept if you've made enough paper and have "Scholars/Record Keepers" archiving all your history. This would mean a room like archives or libraries would be needed to store written text. If there's a fire or the history gets stolen its lost forever, never making it into history. You get lore and info about other civs through caravans/liasons which your dwarfs must archive if they want to remember it (the drunk bastards). To gain legendary status for any craft dwarfs would have to research it by reading stuff written by other dwarfs with craft skills higher than themselves. Stockpile records/trade agreements/treaties could only be signed if you have paper to do it on. The archiving aspect could also work in adventure mode. You could find ancient forts and take all their records to towns with other scholars for trade. That could get way to complicated but i think the idea of legends and history getting lost in time is interesting.

Smoking
Dwarfs like to smoke like they drink. Maybe they puff that longland grass instead of brewing it, if you know what I mean. Crafts like rolling papers and wooden/rock/metal pipes would be added. Certain plants would be illegal if processed (like dried and shredded) to be smoked instead of eaten/drank. Trying to trade these with certain caravans could invoke a raid.

Transportation
Setting minecart tracks just for transport. You would be able to link multiple minecarts together to form a train, maybe 2 dwarves per cart? Set a train traveling between the caverns to the surface to leave every hour or so. Set it to stop at dining/residential areas where dwarf hop on and off. Dwarfs would rather ride than walk so they so they will schedule work/sleep/eat accordingly.

Finally, link wheelbarrows to workshops as well as stockpiles. This would be very useful for masons and stonecrafters hauling rocks to their workshops.

I probably have a hundred more but thats all i got now. I don't know a damn thing about programming so I will never be able to make these happen. Anyway, what do you think? Good, or even plausible ideas... or not?

Altruist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a whole mess of ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »

I don't see why not.  The first could be accomplished with the plant processing labor, "process log to paper" and you get a big stack from a single log (10 or 25 by default, like with bolts and bars or logs), and the recordkeeper (like organizer or bookkeeper) just needs one of those every season.  The second could also be accomplished with the plant processing labor, using the stack of paper from the previous idea and creating a stack of "herbs" from a single plant (like bolts require a single log).  Would you want dwarves to acquire the token [GRASS-DEPENDENT] or something less harsh, like when a dwarf has had a smoke recently, things that give mood boosts are stronger, and things that give mood penalties are weaker?

I think minecarts for transportation is in the works already.  And hauling has several upgrades it could stand to have anyhow.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:04:13 pm »

Thank you for joining the Forum. I hope you stick around. And I see you'd made your suggestion-something-thats-been-suggested-before thread.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:31 pm »

This is just a list of some ideas that have been running around my head. I have no idea how to implement any of these so I come to you fellow dwarfs.
Omnious.

Paper
Process trees or plants to make paper. The history and legends of the fort are only kept if you've made enough paper and have "Scholars/Record Keepers" archiving all your history. This would mean a room like archives or libraries would be needed to store written text. If there's a fire or the history gets stolen its lost forever, never making it into history. You get lore and info about other civs through caravans/liasons which your dwarfs must archive if they want to remember it (the drunk bastards). To gain legendary status for any craft dwarfs would have to research it by reading stuff written by other dwarfs with craft skills higher than themselves. Stockpile records/trade agreements/treaties could only be signed if you have paper to do it on. The archiving aspect could also work in adventure mode. You could find ancient forts and take all their records to towns with other scholars for trade. That could get way to complicated but i think the idea of legends and history getting lost in time is interesting.
Dwarves should be able to store their history on stone slabs, also planned.

Smoking
Dwarfs like to smoke like they drink. Maybe they puff that longland grass
LONGLAND GRASS IS DF WHEAT
Crafts like rolling papers and wooden/rock/metal pipes would be added. Certain plants would be illegal if processed (like dried and shredded) to be smoked instead of eaten/drank. Trying to trade these with certain caravans could invoke a raid.
Well, while I have nothing against adding some kind of smoking (probably more tobacco/pipe-weed than marijuana), this has been over-suggested.

Transportation
Setting minecart tracks just for transport. You would be able to link multiple minecarts together to form a train, maybe 2 dwarves per cart? Set a train traveling between the caverns to the surface to leave every hour or so. Set it to stop at dining/residential areas where dwarf hop on and off. Dwarfs would rather ride than walk so they so they will schedule work/sleep/eat accordingly.
Meh.
I'd rather wait for "real" transport vehicles, to be honest. Besides, pathing issues.

Finally, link wheelbarrows to workshops as well as stockpiles. This would be very useful for masons and stonecrafters hauling rocks to their workshops.
This would be. Maybe it's been brought up before? Oh, yeah, it has.

I probably have a hundred more but thats all i got now. I don't know a damn thing about programming so I will never be able to make these happen. Anyway, what do you think? Good, or even plausible ideas... or not?
Welcome and thanks for not suggesting slavery or sewage. Or commercialization. Or prepping DF for commercialization.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:08 pm »

Also, as a helpfull hint for the future, please refrain from making list type suggestions. Or if you do, please concentrate them around one topic. This makes searching easier, cleans up the forum and makes it a generally more pleasant place.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:43:43 am »

Paper

Smoking
Dwarfs like to smoke like they drink. Maybe they puff that longland grass instead of brewing it, if you know what I mean. Crafts like rolling papers and wooden/rock/metal pipes would be added. Certain plants would be illegal if processed (like dried and shredded) to be smoked instead of eaten/drank. Trying to trade these with certain caravans could invoke a raid.
Dwarves don't smoke because they live underground.

Transportation

My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »

Nice pictures.
I especially like how you noted that the longland grass was wheat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:56 pm »

If you could smoke wheat then I'd be living in California.

Canadian California.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:38:11 pm »

Longland grass to my knowledge is outright Wheat.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:56 am »

With all this fun be had. We do All (at least most of us) do wish you the new forumites to stay and be part of the community. I think you'd just be surprised on how someone makes a new account, and their first few post will include a list of suggestions, where they've either all been suggested before (And given the size of the community, and age, been discussed better), or are already planned for the game proper.

It used to annoy me, but I see it as just a quirk of the community.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#