Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for less known fantasy books  (Read 626 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for less known fantasy books
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »

I guess I read too much, but I've come to a stage where I am having trouble finding fantasy books to read.
If I look at a 100 list, Its books I've read or books that I know I do not like, And if I look through listings of releases by year it tends to become just blurr due to all the shitty books that get listed as fantasy because some unreal aspect (like all the twilight wannabe vampire romance crap) and reading a short summary usually just tells me something is wrong in fantasyland and it needs the protagonist.

I tend to be more interested in the protagonist than the general plot, for example i like to read about the time at the academy in The Kingkiller Chronicle
High fantasy would be preferred.

Some books that I like;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dislike David Eddings & Robin Hobb
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Game of thrones isn't my cup of tea and i didn't find LotR specially interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for less known fantasy books
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »

This might interest you. It was fairly good, to my recollection.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »

This might interest you. It was fairly good, to my recollection.
Thanks, but already read it, and I lost interest for his Lightbringer series in the second book

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 10:09:23 pm »

I recommend the Chronicles of Amber series.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:43 pm »

The Black Company by Glen Cook is amazing. I cannot praise it enough. It's like The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but focused on the average Joes.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:35 am »

Not sure if it fit the "lesser known" category since it used to be a bestseller.
And now it's coming back again.

But the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (Stephen? I 'ardly know 'im!) is something you should at least give a chance.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 01:26:17 am »

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.

'Tis my favourite fantasy series of all time. Ten books in total, and I took them all with me when I moved out.
It's a shame the series failed financially due to the third book or it might have been longer. :( Still, all the books work as standalone novels, they just take place in overlapping periods of time, which is truly fascinating.
I truly cannot recommend the series highly enough! :) Oh, the author is Hugh Cook.
And I would probably recommend either book 1, 2 or 4 to start with. 1 for more of an epic, "company of warriors thrown together on a dangerous quest etc" type of story, or 4 for a "rollicking, wide-spanning adventure that is at once hilarious, dramatic and even touching" kind of tale.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:29:31 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:22 am »

I've really come to enjoy John Marco. Pick up Eyes of God if you get the chance, it's semi-political, low-magic dark fantasy. And by dark fantasy I don't mean grimdark or violent and edgy.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:10 am »

Read Chronicles of Amber, The Black Company, but didn't finish Dark Tower though I might try again.
Will check out The inhumans & CoaAoD.