Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 135562 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Damsel
« Reply #1425 on: April 22, 2024, 12:37:48 pm »

Double-posting feels poor, but this is a new entry:

Damsel is a way better "princess" movie than anything the House of Mouse has put out in many years. Finally writers that trust the audience a bit, very little narrative spoon-feeding.  And, I daresay, a good way of how to do a strong heroine.  A little trope-heavy, but not cliche; overall I think it is a very good dragon flick.  Some seriously fine dragonfire effects too!

It does have a really strange visual tone to it though.  The color palette and filmography style is "high Disney" but the content is darker.  Such an interesting juxtaposition.

Part of what I mean about filmography is the imaging is "too crisp" (basically, too digital & too high a frame rate) - I want me some film grain or something, at least. And make it real, not digitally simulated!

There were a few janky green-screen cuts... and an odd dichotomy in CG quality from cut to cut...but not terrible given what looks like a made-for-TV budget.  There is some surprising intelligent detail, too - like a sword that got hit by dragonfire has annealing discoloration on it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1426 on: June 08, 2024, 06:13:54 pm »

I think statute of limitations has passed.  I finally saw it:

Godzilla Minus One

That's how you do monster movies!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 10, 2024, 06:35:05 pm »

I too had been waiting to see it, and now that I'm watching it, I'm being annoyed by a number of little things. Mild spoilers of little consequence ahead.

The biggest of the little things being probably people not reacting rationally to the rather important revelation of there being a goddamn monster. Like the guy knowing Godzilla is coming, and that the government doesn't want to evacuate, so he's just gonna sit there with his adopted family instead of taking everyone he cares about and running for the fucking hills. 
And everyone's generally a bit too blase about the realisation that there exists a fuckhuge impossible monster in this world they're living in. Like, when the wife girlfriend roommate listens to his story from the war, the reaction I'd expect would be 'wait, you saw a what now??'. But she completely ignores it and is instead all consoling about his feels. (the most charitable, but never telegraphed, an interpretation would be that she thinks he's gone bonkers so she'd better not engage)
Also, the ruins are too pristine, the leads are too pretty, and every ship appears to have six people on it.
I get the monster is and has always been a metaphor for war, and I get the relatively tight budget, and the throwbacks to the classics, but it's not matching up to the hype imo. Like all Godzilla films I've seen, it feels cheap in all the wrong ways. At least Shin Godzilla had an audaciously designed monster - this one's very competently done, but by the book.

Bleh. Not sure I'll finish it.

Oh, and the people of Tokyo seem to be very fond of the Prometheus school of running away from danger.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 11, 2024, 04:27:10 am »

Feels to me like these newer Godzilla movies lack the soul of the original ones, not to say they're bad it's just that they don't feel the same.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 11, 2024, 04:54:59 am »

I am by no means a fan of the Godzilla movies (prior to last year, I had only seen the poorly-regarded American version) so I have no idea how Minus One compares with the average film in the series. I did leave the theater with the impression that it was a good film, but one that would have probably remained within the circles of Godzilla fans had it not been released in the middle of a Christmas season where no other film worth watching was released.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 11, 2024, 08:28:28 am »

I'm not sure how Minus one compares to all the other Godzilla movies (I 've only watched the 1999 and 2014 american ones), but I think it's a (very?) good movie in general.

My only gripes would be the train scene which was a bit wonky in execution and the "feel good" ending which, in my opinion, subtracts from the main character's arc. Apart from these, I think it does a great job at conveying the sheer helplessness and desperation of going against something so powerful.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 11, 2024, 10:18:55 am »

I think the good things about the movie were that it focused on the story of the movie, not trying to shoehorn in any other side-themes that can distract or get in the way.  There was no product placement, no moralizing, no "look at this particular demographic we included" no "see how righteous we are about this" no "see it's all this group's fault, not our fault!*" - it was just pure humanity against mindless, wild violence.

For the rest - yeah the basic tropes of monster movies were present, but it was well-executed.

*What little "blame" there was, was often portrayed as self reflection, not "blaming the other", perhaps with an exception of the civilians against the military leaders.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 17, 2024, 12:40:39 am »

Watched An American Tail over the weekend with the kids. I'd completely forgotten that the climax of the movie involved the mice actually building the Golem of Prague "Giant Mouse of Minsk" (in the form of a big wooden puppet) and using it to attack the cats of New York. I remembered the storytelling at the beginning and the allusion therein, but not what happened at the end.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 23, 2024, 10:19:39 am »

I watched Inside out 2. Fun and interesting metaphors, but not ground breaking. It delivers what is expected.

The puberty thing reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBlKzp8LVcQ

Which would make for a rather fun movie when Libido takes over, but I doubt Disney would approve that.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]