Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Alloy proportions -> Tool workaround?  (Read 1183 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Alloy proportions -> Tool workaround?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 06:34:57 am »

there are already ways to exploit infinite metal in vanilla, if someone wants infinite metal they could just use one of those methods

Bolt and coin splitting's popular for that, because of minimum of .1 metal return per piece. Around 250% if perfectly splitted for bolts.

Even plain coin gives 110% return without being split up.

I don't see it as much of an issue, and material size of 1 is around .3 metal return, IIRC, while it's every 3 material size is a bar required, rounded down or to 1.

Krasudreal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:45 am »

there are already ways to exploit infinite metal in vanilla, if someone wants infinite metal they could just use one of those methods

Bolt and coin splitting's popular for that, because of minimum of .1 metal return per piece. Around 250% if perfectly splitted for bolts.

I don't see it as much of an issue, and material size of 1 is around .3 metal return, IIRC, while it's every 3 material size is a bar required, rounded down or to 1.

So, if the minimum metal return per piece is .1, then, if rods are one tenth (1/10) of a metal bar, then, presumably, no exploit will happen...

However, even if it is metal, is there any way to prevent it from being smeltable? (of course, making a reaction where you turn 10 rods into a full bar, to compensate.)
    SHE KILLED HER DAUGHTER AND TURNED HER INTO A PICK. A GODDAMN PICK. WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
BLASPHEMY! THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGHT BABY FOR EVERYONE!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 07:28:30 am »

So, if the minimum metal return per piece is .1, then, if rods are one tenth (1/10) of a metal bar, then, presumably, no exploit will happen...

However, even if it is metal, is there any way to prevent it from being smeltable? (of course, making a reaction where you turn 10 rods into a full bar, to compensate.)

Make it a non-metal, a stone that's not part of any layers or the like, reactions works fine with stones, it's how smelting's done! And technically since your rod is material size 1, it's .3, you're right about the rough return estimation from your test. The minimum's how coin and bolt exploits works for massive multiplier. I'd not worry about the exploity part, since players will always find a way, if they WANT to.

ed: Making then non-metal would make it harder to accidentally melt them too while being inattentive, so it's good idea all-around :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:31:35 am by AutomataKittay »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

Kittay: the thought of making a new stone for every metal is... not that bad overall, but pretty tedious.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 12:43:14 pm »

Kittay: the thought of making a new stone for every metal is... not that bad overall, but pretty tedious.
Got a better idea on making it unmeltable?
Seems like simplest way, even if it's pretty much a mountain of copy-paste nametags and crap, haha.

Zucchini

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-Purpose Vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »

Ah, so the melting thing is more exploitable naturally than I thought.  Hmm.  Well, I guess it's not something to block an implementation then.

Incidentally, though, I suppose it wouldn't too that inorganic-spam-tedious to create an inorganic for each kind of rod, since you're really only going to need to do metals that are used in really small proportions.

For example, I'm not sure we'll need rod definitions for, say, all the different kinds of iron and steel.  (My friend and I are working on a mod that goes a bit farther than past mods we've seen with regard to metallurgy -- particularly iron and steelworks, so just iron and steel will be 9-10 different inorganics, maybe more, depending.)

SPECIAL will keep these inorganics from showing up on caravans, dwarf preferences, etc., right?
I want to take the ears off, but I can't.
Pages: 1 [2]