Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0_0 How do I remove corpses?  (Read 639 times)

Aegix Drakan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
0_0 How do I remove corpses?
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »

So I'm a total newbie, and after 5 total failures to get anything going, and a few video tutorials later, I finally have a settlement started.  And then suddenly, I hear that two stray cattle died.

I'm not quite sure how they died, since there was a perfectly good farm right near them, but anyway...

I thought it was no big deal.

Then I saw this purple stuff flooding my dining room/meeting room.  And then I realized that not only did they die IN the dining room, but the corpses were flooding the place with miasma.

I tried to designate an area outside to stockpile corpses, but no one is moving them.  And half my dwarves are slaking off in the dining room not moving the bodies, and thus they're just standing around getting poisoned.  >_<

How do I move the cow corpses OUT and away?

Shoep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0_0 How do I remove corpses?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »

Hey! I'm pretty new myself, but i managed to get rid of corpses by building a refuse pile outside my fortress. Once you've placed that the dwarves should drag the corpses there, assuming they're not all busy with with other things.. Make sure it's a refuse pile, not a corpse pile.. I think a corpse pile is for dwarves that died, but haven't gotten a burial yet

Alternatively you can hover over them with 'K' and select dump, then place a garbage dump outside of your fortress using the i button for zones
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:20:40 pm by Shoep »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »

Check your [o]rders and make outside refuse haulable, or make the refuse stockpile indoors.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:01:28 pm »

Cattle and certain other creatures are grazers, which means they need to be kept on grass or cave moss in order to survive. Make a pasture zone over grass or moss and assign the animals to it, and the dwarves will then take the animals there. Farms are no good for keeping animals fed -- they only produce stacks of plants, and those don't get fed to animals unless the animal is a pet or in the process of being trained from wild.

Check your [o]rders and make outside refuse haulable, or make the refuse stockpile indoors.
You don't need to do this to get refuse hauled from indoors, whether you're hauling to somewhere inside or somewhere outside. You will need to switch outdoor refuse hauling on if you want anything in your outdoors refuse pile to be taken back indoors.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aegix Drakan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »

:D  Thanks guys!

The refuse stockpile worked, they're dragging the cattle out now.

And thank you for the heads up on the pasture zone.

Man...this game is insanely in depth...it's ludicrous!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

And it's only going to get worse from here! :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Aegix Drakan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:44 pm »

Surprisingly I have not had that many major proble-I mean "Fun" ( XD That's the term you all use for DISASTER, right?).  It's been a year that my fort has been going and things are doing relatively well.

So far my biggest issues are:
a)  I can't find a way to make my still churns out nonstop booze.  I have to keep going to it to fill it up with orders.  I'm not really sure what the Repeat command does.

b)  Trying to make a third squad, so I can have 2 squads exchanging patrol and training duties.  I've had five kobold thieves sneak in, and I've only managed to take out two of them.

c)  I haven't hit metal yet, (All I have is Dolomite and Sard) so I can't make any equipment above stone swords and wood crossbows.

Aside from that, and a few other inferface/design confusions, I'm not running into much trouble at all.  I'm wondering just how much longer that's going to last.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »

Surprisingly I have not had that many major proble-I mean "Fun" ( XD That's the term you all use for DISASTER, right?).  It's been a year that my fort has been going and things are doing relatively well.

So far my biggest issues are:
a)  I can't find a way to make my still churns out nonstop booze.  I have to keep going to it to fill it up with orders.  I'm not really sure what the Repeat command does.
Repeat makes the order repeat, as in, it get put to the end of job list for the workshop. Sounds like it's exactly what you want :D
That or using job manager to queue up a lot of 30 jobs
b)  Trying to make a third squad, so I can have 2 squads exchanging patrol and training duties.  I've had five kobold thieves sneak in, and I've only managed to take out two of them.
Assign someone to it in the noble screen, then create it in the military.

c)  I haven't hit metal yet, (All I have is Dolomite and Sard) so I can't make any equipment above stone swords and wood crossbows.
Buy it from caravan, salvage it from corpses, recycle (melt ) useless metal trade stuff with smelter. I tend to go with bone crossbows and bone bolts from overabundance of bone. Leather shield makes dwarves survive much better! Crossbow in traps works well too against goblins. So does glass trap stuffs!

Aside from that, and a few other inferface/design confusions, I'm not running into much trouble at all.  I'm wondering just how much longer that's going to last.
Just wait for it :D

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »

Definitely spend some time watching Glaciersacks and/or Snarlingurn videos, or any of the other tutorials by Captain Duck on youtube.  There's some quality info there.  I use his stockpile setup verbatim and it works very very well.

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:21 pm »

And half my dwarves are slaking off in the dining room not moving the bodies, and thus they're just standing around getting poisoned.  >_<
Miasma doesn't poison, it just gives a bad thought.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 01:04:31 am »

A good idea is to have a butcher's shop in it's own room with a door (to seal off potential miasma) and with default orders, it'll auto queue butcher jobs when there are corpses about, just make sure to have the butchering labor enabled.

About nonstop booze, repeat command does what you'd think, it does it over and over and over until it get canceled, probably from no distillable food items. Also look up what the manager noble is. It isn't what you're looking for, I'll flat out say that, but once your fort gets bigger you'll love your manager.