Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Families?  (Read 607 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Families?
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »

I have noticed with the new version that families seem to migrate to the fort. I was just checking out my military and I found that two of them (that I put into the same squad!) were actually brothers and they also shared a number of nieces, nephews and cousins in the fort (though their younger brother, the father of the nieces and nephews for some reason didn't migrate with them). Would be cool if there were a "family tree" mode to see it all fleshed out so I wouldn't have to put it together myself for example which of the missing brothers is the father of the nieces and nephews.

As for the brothers, in random serendipity I had already named one of them "Batman" and the other...you guessed it..."Robin".

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Families?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »

:D that's some pretty good chance selection!

I think there used to be a program, or an attempt at making a properly working one, in the mod board for family tracking. I don't know how far it managed to go.

Someone made a legends viewer for the exported xml, it might be able to do some kind of relationship view, but I've never used it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:50:42 pm »

Nice naming. ;)

Someone posted about using real-world geneology software to track the inhabitants of his fortress.  As I recall, it worked out pretty well, considering.  No worse than using DT to track job assignments, anyway.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »

Lately I have been naming all of my marksdwarves after the "Bat Family" characters (heroes and villains from the Batman mythos) and my melee dwarves after Byzantine emperors. Constantius just killed an Ettin, and poor Julian the Apostate had a mood which couldn't be satisfied so I had to lock him in his workshop. :(

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »

Not sure if this is what your looking for.  With Legends Viewer, we can peruse lineages, quite clearly.  Trick is rolling with a long history, in order to generate a long regal accession line.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.