Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else have keys randomly ignored/repeated under Win 7?  (Read 1602 times)

FDru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Anyone else have keys randomly ignored/repeated under Win 7?
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:35:59 am »

So I just upgraded to Win 7 x64 recently from Win XP Pro (hah, "upgraded"), and the game runs great for the most part. The part that doesn't run great is the keyboard input. I'm getting random double-inputs or zero inputs from the numpad keys including the + and - keys. It's horribly obnoxious when trading and managing any other lists similar to that.

It's not related to the repeat rate settings, and I've messed around with them quite a bit to be sure. It's not lag either; the key is simply completely ignored or randomly doubled. Hitting "+" 20 times might give me an ignored keypress on the 10th and a repeated keypress on the 16th.

Really don't have any idea what could be causing this. I have searched around but it doesn't seem like this problem is very common and there wasn't any clear fix. Does anybody know of any possible solution?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have keys randomly ignored/repeated under Win 7?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:05 am »

Either I'm not very observant or it's simply a problem with you, but I've not had this particular problem, myself.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:28:17 am »

Nope. In fact, ive never run DF on a non-Win7 system, and its always worked fine. It actiualy sounds like it might be a problem with your keyboard, if anything.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

FDru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:31 am »

Either I'm not very observant or it's simply a problem with you, but I've not had this particular problem, myself.

Well I would hope it's a problem with me, so I can fix it. I play tons of games on this machine though, and DF is the only one that's ever done something weird like this.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:13:33 am »

I think we can exclude hardware failure here. Maybe the generic keyboard driver windows uses has compatibility issues with your keyboard. Try if installing the driver from your specific keyboard manufacturer helps. If it's not this, then it's some weird OS issue I have no idea how to fix.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:14:18 am »

I fairly regularly get double inputs.  I've modified the key rate and delay so that it works a bit quicker.  I haven't worked out how to get the same behaviour as the Windows Keyboard settings though, which would be my preference (both sliders to the far left).  If I use the default values then I get no double inputs so it's probably a bug, but I don't know how exactly to reproduce it.  When I'm designating bedrooms I get an extra input every few rooms so it's very repeatable.

For example, CR, shift-R, CR, U, U, CR, shift-L, CR, U, U, CR, shift-R, CR should give:
###########

###########

###########

but every so often in fact I get

########### <- this pattern offset to the right if I'm not paying attention

############ <- an extra #

###########

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:17:29 am »

My keyboard settings are:

[KEY_HOLD_MS:125]
[KEY_REPEAT_MS:75]
[KEY_REPEAT_ACCEL_LIMIT:8]
[KEY_REPEAT_ACCEL_START:10]

I also haven't figured out how to switch acceleration off.  I don't want it to accelerate but to start out at top speed.
If you use Linux try "xset r rate 125 30" and that's what I would most prefer.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:10 am »

It's possibly hardware or driver failure for the keypad. I've had no issues with playing DF in Win 7, other than some video modes acts oddly, but I think it's more related to lack of video card than anything.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:18:51 am »

I have this exact same issue. It's horrible when trying to find things in the job management queue, I keep searching for "COPPEER GOBOLET". I don't think it's W7 specific as I've played DF on this computer previously with no problems. It started happening to me when I began using the Accelerated mod, but that might just be a coincidence.
For now I type slowly and double-check my designations.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:11 pm »

My GF has a Win 7 boxen, but all the DF I've done on it so far has been an Advanced World Gen.  That went cleanly.  This computer came pre-installed with Win 7 btw.

What I have noticed that's off about it is that certain programs are more prone to KB lag than others on her machine.  Specifically, it seems that some, but not all, Chat programs are horrible at lagging, while others are clean as a whistle.  That may have something to do with the program they're written in and how clean their I/O routines are.  DF has really simple I/O routines (comparatively speaking).  If it's not a device conflict or driver issue, and if you see it in other applications, I'd start wondering if some background process is hogging I/O time.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

What do you have your G_FPS_CAP set to? The game runs the screen and checks for key presses at the same time, so if it's set to low then your game can freak out and not respond as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 05:13:24 am »

[G_FPS_CAP:50]