Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile that will *only* accept butcherable items?  (Read 629 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile that will *only* accept butcherable items?
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:25 am »

Is it possible to create a stockpile that will only accept butcherable items?  I'd like to automatically collect everything that can be butchered and place it next to my butcher shop so they will trigger automatic butchering jobs, but I keep ending up with random corpses and parts that aren't eligible for butchering and so they rot and miasma the place...  :)

--nomad_delta

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile that will *only* accept butcherable items?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:19:23 am »

i suppose you can't completely separate butcherables from other items. It is because animals that have died from hunger can not be butchered.
But discarding this, you can set a stockpile that accepts body parts and corpses of all non-sapient(ant thus butcherable) creatures.
But it will be too long to scroll the list of creatures selecting these you can butcher/deselectiong ones you can't.
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:28:03 am »

Personally what I do is set a stockpile that just takes all corpses and body parts, but put it in it's own room with a double door (so a dwarf has to walk through two door tiles to get in/out) on it. That keeps practically all the miasma in, so only the few dwarves who have hauling tasks to put the corpses in there are actually affected by it. Then just occasionally go in and dump all of the non-butcherable items.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12:26 am »

You'd need to manually set which creatures' acceptable in the stockpile, since there're nothing that triggers specific butchering job. Or!

You could have a stockpile that takes from the butchering stockpile, that's set to take any corpses you've noticed not being butchered, which's probably easier to notice.