Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nature Destroying Constructions & Repair  (Read 2559 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nature Destroying Constructions & Repair
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:29 am »

Also,I doubt as you'd have too much problem in most biomes. Remember, where this happens in real life, it takes many a year to cause critical damage. Maybe you could have an alert that pops up, if an architect, or mason or whatever's relevant, sees the wall, saying 'Urist McStructuralengineer has noticed the poor condition of the wall' or some such.
If this was indeed a rare thing and gave an announcement with reasonable time to fix the issue, I could see it being more Fun than frustrating. Though really I don't expect this to cause more than forcing people to build roads around all of their constructions. Although the prospect of hostile cavern plants is too appetizing to not hope for.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:21 am »

Mind you it makes a huge difference how you build. Big Block constructions like Native American Pyramids or stone-henge survive very long. A modern Skyscraper or a middle european city for a decade maybe two. A US american Suburb? Untended maybe 6 Moths depending on the latitude. In Arizona or Texas longer with the arid climate, further north you run quickly into problems with molds, rotting etc. . Take the suburbs in Detroit after the housing bubble, the general state of disrepair made these uninhabitable very fast.

In  Pripyat you have some called "Plattenbau" which are houses Build from Prefabricated Concrete slabs which are assembled much like legos (making it very economic and even artistic if enough different parts would have existed). This made them also rather sturdy so that these building often survive for more the 2 decades.

All in all i am for Plants & nature doing damage. I would includesuch stuff like Birches growingon roofs because soil acumulated there etc. Also rat, termite and mold-damage weakening walls and floors. would be neat if you break through a floor if you arent careful.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DarbyMcB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:08 pm »

This needs to be in even if it's just for the simple fact of being able to come during adventure mode, after you've retired (or abandoned) your fort, and check out all the old rotting tomes in your grand libraries and the diamond encrusted tombs of your ancestors where roots of the great trees came and overtook them in their underground mausoleums.

Off topic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »

I'd make my library closer to 30×50 before giving it five levels most of the time, but the image rocks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarbyMcB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 08:25:26 pm »

I'd make my library closer to 30×50 before giving it five levels most of the time, but the image rocks.

Honestly I'm just not sure how large it can be before cave ins begin, so I chose a safe size.

If I could I would have multiple rooms of 30x50x5, all connected by a central hallway with a small room at the far end designating the main chambers/office of the head librarian, where there's a massive rough stone pedestal, large enough that a dwarf would need a stool to see onto it, with a huge tome holding the locations and references for all the books in the library.

Each major room would have expansive walkways spanning across, with large balconies for finding books on the higher shelves. The rooms are so large they have monstrous pillars supporting the ceiling, with their own staircases enclosed within them that reach to the lower levels where the more powerful darker magic books have been sealed away.

Got a little bored, decided to write a little something for the staircases towards the bottom areas of the library
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 09:21:08 pm »

Currently, no matter how big you dig your rooms they won't cave in without removing all possible support from the roof.
Great paragraph. I might need to borrow that idea for a D&D game or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]