Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping my marksdwarves  (Read 986 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping my marksdwarves
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:43:38 am »

I would like to give my marksdwarves a backup weapon and a shield, so that they would have something to switch to in case of melee engagement. Something along the lines of Mount&Blade. Is it viable? I can do it in adventure mode, but will markdwarves be able/smart enough to switch?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping my marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

Unfortunatly, no. Crossbows are multigrasp, and switching weapons has not been implemented (yet). Silver crossbows are your best bet, at least that does some damage in melee as well. You can give them shields no problem though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:22 am »

so they will be able to strap shield to the back, but will not equip shortsword after the crossbow? or will they equip shortsword alright, but will not use it unless they lose a hand?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:12:35 am »

If you give marksdwarves a shield, they will equip it with the crossbow without any problems.

The weapon is more complicated.  I know of a case where someone did some experimenting, and the conclusion he came to was that dwarves would use whatever weapon appeared first in their inventory almost all of the time and only rarely used any others.  This includes crossbows and hand weapons.

So most likely what will happen is even if you give the dwarf a steel axe to go with his crossbow, 90% of the time he's going to bash with his crossbow instead.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

All dwarves will use shield, the multigrasp only seem to affect melee weapons. I've not seen any worse performance from crossbowier with shield, and they survives MUCH longer!

And as above mentioned, common wisdom and some experiment says that first gotten is primary weapon, but dwarves will use anything they can hold, really.

Dremire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »

I did equip my axedwarf with crossbow, so he could hunt giant sparrows. Result was eh, unexpected:
He grabbed crossbow, quiver and bolts alongside his shield and axe and headed towards sparrows. For some reason he kept dropping his bolts on the ground every few steps and then returning to pick them up. As he finely got within shooting range pickup equipment was interrupted by giant sparrow, aaand off he goes to grab more bolts from stockpile o0

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:01 am »

All dwarves will use shield, the multigrasp only seem to affect melee weapons.
So, if i equip my dwarf with 2handed long sword, he will also use shield? Do I understand it correct?
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:01:50 am »

All dwarves will use shield, the multigrasp only seem to affect melee weapons.
So, if i equip my dwarf with 2handed long sword, he will also use shield? Do I understand it correct?
They will try, some of the tests I've done and seen other do ( which might be outdated by now ) says that they won't be able to attack/kill as effectively with shield on, but they'll still use it.