Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There's a WHAT in my party?  (Read 1061 times)

emc2trooper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
There's a WHAT in my party?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:58:34 am »

I booted up Adventure Mode last night to show to my friend. We had some giggles while asking townsfolk about Surroundings. Most of those giggles were because we realized that, in areas with high monster activity, most people would have no family. But then somehow skinless monsters and shadow trolls ended up with brides. So we had this running joke that anyone in town that claims to have relatives must be a secret monster of some sort.

Well, we're going through a hamlet asking people about their Families and Surroundings when we come upon a Crossbowman. The guy tells us about his wife (who died of old age) and his cousins and grandparents, both paternal and maternal. We decide this guy's pretty cool and ask him into the party. So now we have a crossbowman plus a merchant we picked up in the Capitol just for fun.

That's when we got bored and said, "We should ask the townspeople for a quest."

We walk one house south and the merchant and crossbowman lollygag around outside while we ask if the people need any help. Paraphrase:

"Yeah, we've been infiltrated by a night creature. M*****f***er killed 2,711 people. We have no conclusive evidence but we're pretty sure he's killed 2,711 people." Oh, and his name is--"

That's when my friend chimed in: "Yeah, that's the crossbowman you just recruited."

Er, great?

Looking back, we should have just kept him on and gone on some quests to take advantage of his well-honed killing ability but instead we just decided to end it there. The merchant and I confronted our new companion outside under a tree and then killed him. Upon killing him, we think we found more than conclusive evidence that he was a vampire. Some dead giveaways that the townsfolk probably shouldn't have dismissed as inconclusive evidence:

A human tooth necklace

A human tooth crown

A human hair ring

A human hair bracelet

And I would call the townspeople stupid but I'm pretty sure we're the ones that recruited him into our party without taking notice of any of this as well.

Anyway, following the incident, I was congratulated and offered another quest: Kill the skinless monster bride. Long story short, when we found her, she wasn't alone. Her whole family was there. What ensued between those three, my character, and the merchant, was one of the most comically horrific things I've read in a long time. The bride pulled the merchant onto the ground by grabbing the merchant's skirt with her leg. The skinless monster himself kept trying to pull my character's teeth out with his arm. I opened the bride's belly with my sword and the merchant punched her already perforated guts.

Yeah, we died. But it was a death that reinforced my love for this game. Huzzah!

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
Re: There's a WHAT in my party?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:31:40 am »

Haha! I liked this story. The way it all lines up is just hilarious.
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
Re: There's a WHAT in my party?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:15 pm »

That Crossbowman is a spy!